Click here to browse more Boise hotels! 6:14 pm Boise. It felt pretty cool to walk in the woods on snow again. I easily spent close to two hours here. In the small town of John Day on Highway 26 is one of the most unexpected and interesting things to do between Boise and Portland. 11:00 am start in Boise. It was a little pricey, but not more than you'd expect for the location. Friendly staff. No Alcohol, cant get a drink here. Help keep us safe! There is also an interpretive center down the street where tours meet with more exhibits. It was a great day! Told us all about the Oregon trail program in the summer. Tower hotel rooms are clean, comfortable, modern. With all the beautiful different colors. Thank you Casey for being a fantastic guide. Planning travel has actually been fun instead of tedious because of this app. I think fall is the best time to be up in the mountains. Overall, worth every second! The photos on the website did not describe the reality of this train ride. The full day trip was well worth every penny. Some highlights you wont want to miss are Multnomah Falls and Vista House, and for some short hikes, try Bridal Falls or Loutrell Falls. day 2 driving 4.5 hours. They had also separate are for Wine club members. What really made this trip incredible was our amazing guide, Amparo "AJ". I just dont think its worth the price however understand that its expensive to keep the train running, and the tracks cleared, pay salaries, and other upkeep and maintenance. Towards the end, we ended up at a jumping rock and it was so much fun. Did not expect to see such diversity of collections. Then, I recommend you proceed on I-84 into Oregon (you'll . This quaint little house is just one of many properties available in the Pendleton area. Where to stay in the Columbia River Gorge: I recommend staying in either Hood River or The Dalles, both located towards the far end of the Columbia River Gorge from Portland. Hopefully we get Kirk again. It felt pretty cool to walk in the woods on snow again. Nice view from here too. Be prepared to expend some major energy on the serious up hill hike portions! We've decided to make it an annual tradition! Took the trail in the rain, in crocs and found no difficulty at all ascending and descending. There are many hiking trails around the lake of varying lengths and you can also hunt, fish, boat, and swim at the lake at certain times of the year. Restrooms in site. Amazing!! and leave at 4:21 pm. The Columbia River Gorge is the largest National Scenic Area in the United States. Service was outstanding! My 15-year-old son. Fees $5.22 Do you want to experience "great customer service" again? 1131 SW Skamania Lodge Way, Stevenson, WA 98648, USA. We are definitely coming back later in the year to run the upper and lower river. I've been to a few museums over the course of my life, but this is definitely one of my favorites. I would suggest this place to anyone who appreciates history.. 4th grade field trip with my son was fun here! Sixth Street Bistro is also a recommended lunch spot. This list of things to do in Boise wouldn't be complete without one of the city's most iconic buildings; The Capitol Building. So many awesome exhibits. One pinio gris and one zinfandel. If you want to come across wildlife that you cant see anywhere else in the world, if peering down spectacular mile-deep basalt lava flows sounds like your idea of a good time, if seeing some of the most beautiful waterfalls in the world is right up your alley, then going on a day trip to experience the magnificent Columbia River Gorge is just what you need during your stay in Portland. A shining gem in Washington Wine Country! Exactly what I needed to plan a trip. The change of 3000 feet brings so many changes in topography from desert foothills to alpine forest. Where to stay in the Columbia River Gorge: I recommend staying in either Hood River or The Dalles, both located towards the far end of the Columbia River Gorge from Portland. We will definitely be back! From Twin Falls to Boise, take Interstate 84 heading west. 27500 E Timberline Road, Government Camp, OR 97028, USA. Picked up an affordable blanket for our bed from the back bargain room. The main attraction is the Sumpter Valley Gold Dredge, which looks like a ship in the middle of a pond. The museum is open every day from March 15 through November 15 and admission is $12. I would suggest planning on 2 hours and it's worth the time. Irvine, California. Multiple trip options to choose from and the experience will be as tame or daring as you and your group chooses. Read about the 32 best attractions and cities to stop in between Boise and Portland, including places like Hood River, Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area, and Skamania Lodge Adventures Also would not give extra towels. 4 National Parks. This museum is amazing. Other popular stops include Grand Targhee Resort, Perrine Memorial Bridge, and Idaho Potato Museum & Potato Station Cafe. We had our church youth group so the ropes course and rafting. We made plenty of stops to explore and enjoy what the Deschutes has to offer. Embark on a 20-minute walk to Nob Hill to push on with your tour of Portland in 24 hours. Situated on the Willamette River, there are countless luxe rooms on offer and the hotel is centrally located to all fo the citys top sites. find more stops. I also met with many other veterans that served our great nation. (I personally recommend staying in Hood River simply because it makes for a cooler drive on Day 5. Great selection of sculptures, paintings, other visual art, and even interactive exhibits such as a wall where you can draw your own painting and place it with those of other patrons'. Maybe the changes are due to COVID but well probably find a new wine club to join. Guides are amazing, they truly prepare and teach you how to take the next rapid. The staff are very friendly and courteous and they get 5 stars. Our room was cozy and cute. Service was outstanding! As always leave it better than you found it for generations to come, enjoy , In the first days of our trip, we took nature walks around Mount Hood and enjoyed it very much, we had a very enjoyable time, we took hundreds of photos of the waterfall. You should have a smoking section and a non-smoking Cleaning and service are high priority. Hood If youre passing through Pendleton at another time of year, there are lots of other things to do in this famous western town. section designated for your guests. The fun stops listed below will showcase Southern Idaho's best attractions and include stunning natural wonders like hidden springs . I will be making my 6th trip down from the Seattle area this July and cannot wait. As of the 2010 census, the city population was 7,167. Now, I'm working out here! Oregon. The falls is right beside the freeway and there is a large parking lot very close to the falls. Pretend City Children's Museum. We are history buff/nerds and this place is brimming with history and great stories. There are some great views out at the back! Very beautiful park!! The tour includes a drive along the oldest scenic highway in the country, complete with stops at various panoramic viewpoints, including the famous Bonneville Dam Sturgeon viewing center. You can also visit the fish hatchery and the Fort Cascades National Historic Site, the original fort built to protect the crossing site at the river. People have been coming to recover at this natural sulphur hot springs for centuries, in fact, it was a stop on the Oregon Trail. The guide for our day trip was Zach Williams and not once did I question the safety of the hands we were in. 12. The tour includes a drive along the oldest scenic highway in the country, complete with stops at various panoramic viewpoints, including the famous Bonneville Dam Sturgeon viewing center. It has been renovated along with a new movie theater and many new amenities, but it still gives off a slightly haunted vibe. Shared bathroom wasn't a problem. 27500 E Timberline Road, Government Camp, OR 97028, USA. The air show was like being in a time machine. Planes & flying memorabilia from WWI to the jet era are on display at this aviation museum. Bonus points for the incredibly comfortable beds! Service here was top-notch. Lots of local history and cultural information with great artifacts.. Historic charm mixed with modern furniture. Bonus points for the incredibly comfortable beds! I would recommend going here, we never had any issues and we do plan on going back next year! No ragrets. Driving to Boise from Oregon can also be a part of a longer road trip from Portland to Yellowstone National Park in Wyoming. day 1 driving 6 hours. Be sure to start early as the Multnomah area gets jam packed with tourists. The amazing woman in the gift center worked with us when we realized it was much bigger. Still recommend seeing it to take in the damage that was done and the time it takes for nature to recover. So much to do in such a beautiful place. We're discovering the USA from the freedom of the open road, and you're in the driver's seat. Kirk caught on fast and made sure to help our son feel capable, included and best of all, Kirk made sure Connor had a great time. Many personal artifacts donated to make this place come to life. If you have never been you really need to experience it up close and personal. Nice museum with some nice set pieces and artifacts. There's no better way to experience extraordinary vistas, charming small towns, and hidden gems. Walla Walla is the largest city and the county seat of Walla Walla County, Washington, United States. Auto Parking: 1. You can also check out other stores in Pendleton that are famous for saddles and western hats and gear. We visited all the historical stuff in the building, hiked around the remaining snow (in July), and got rained on. I like museums in general, so take my excitement with a grain of salt! Beware of thieves at this location. Fun gaming (love that it is still a non-smoking facility). I do what I can and understand that change is slow. We had a great lunch, complete with appetizers (prepared by our guides), stops for photos and river jumping, and another entertaining bus ride (with drink service) back to the Cascade office. Just 20 min outside of boise. We visited in October and the weather was amazing. Still, its a fine museum and I highly recommend it. We've decided to make it an annual tradition! 2023 The World Was Here First All rights reserved. 110 Railroad Street, Hood River, OR 97031, USA, Most Beautiful Day of the Year! I can see how this place would be very busy on the weekends when more events take place on the grounds. town on the edge of some stunning wilderness. We stayed less than an hour. No one in there for the 2 hours I was downstairs. Very interesting architecture with the host, Sam Hill, wanting to have guests sleep on the top deck to see the stars. There is also an option to include breakfast. All in all, we had a wonderful day with stories and memories we will cherish for years to come. I spent an hour there and that wasn't even close to enough time. The violent way that this region was built has given us these awe-inspiring extremely beautiful landscapes. Hiking is range from easy to challenging. Lots of local history and cultural information with great artifacts.. Casual B&B set in a restored 1864 hotel offering hot spring tubs, a day spa & a sculpture gallery. It was our first visit and you could tell that the soaking area has been updated nicely. Friendly and competent staff. If you want to take photos there is a small platform you can get to near the back of the train. Situated within easy reach of all of the citys top attractions, there are lots of rooms to choose from and even an on-site restaurant. Like they collected stuff from around the world then dropped it into one place. The staff at the hotel was so nice and helpful, this is a real gem in Eastern Oregon. Gorgeous trees and views. The design on the inside is really neat with a gorgeous fireplace, delicious apple crisp, and a heated outdoor pool. Such a cute city with lots of shops and an interesting history. However I felt like many things were overpriced for consumption on site. By carolmK577FR. The Romania folks costumes are impressive. Very impressive Native American craft collection and well arranged. First, you may want to plan a few hours in downtown Boise. Definitely small, but the collections they have are of pure quality. And I believe if you had waitresses to bring water or coffee or sodas so it doesn't interfere with the guests from having to leave a good card table, or having to wait until they lose money on the slot machines. Basic gaming floor with slots, poker & table games, also offering a buffet, deli & espresso bar. Good food options (although we miss the original deli). I can see how this place would be very busy on the weekends when more events take place on the grounds. Went to the restaurant. Key stops along the way include Cape Meares, Cape Falcon, Tillamook Creamery and Hug Point State Park, as well as Tillamook and Clatsop State Forests. Some shorter/easier hikes you might want to consider include Latourell Falls, the hike into the Oneonta Gorge (beware that you'll likely get wet), and the Elowah Falls hike. Private Rental If youd like to have your own place in Portland rather than stay in a hotel, then consider a private vacation rental. Highly recommend for family, church, or corporate retreat. Mt. It was so relaxing to hang out here. And a huge Rock And Gem Collection. Several other guides and rafters we encountered along the trip confirmed it by telling us "He's the best guide out here". Friendly staff. Don't miss the hundreds of custom chess pieces in the lower area. Plan along with your friends with live syncing and collaborative editing. The security guard saw me circling around a couple of times, and had a short conversation with me to recommend what he thought was the best part of the museum, the ornate chess set collection, and I'm happy he told me about it. As a birders paradise, youll be likely to see Canada geese, bald eagles, and many species of owls, ducks, herons, and shorebirds. I just got a little nervous walking down the unkempt hallway but when I got to my room, it was a pleasant surprise. The ground is dotted with sculptures. Check them out here: Yes! The bed was way stiff for our liking and there was a wedding that had music shaking the building until 10. Hood for our anniversary. Once we started making the drive up to the Timberline Lodge, the roads were covered in snow! There is a parking lot at the entrance and there is so much to see in the area. Kate Stewart is a writer for The World Was Here First. Don't let any negative reviews of this place stop you from checking it out for yourself. Ready for the best. The chess set collection is fun to see. I had an amazing time white water rafting with my family. As you may know, the trip from Boise to Portland is roughly a 7-hour car ride, direct. My family (wife and two teenagers) were excited as well as apprehensive about white water rafting, that is until they met our guide, Kirk. There isnt that much scenery as there are trees on both sides and limited view of Hood River. With two kids and a dog, we stopped about three times during the drive . See time and distance between places, and optimize your route to get the most of your day. Heritage railway line offering scenic excursions with Mt. Remote mansion with a diverse collection, including Rodin sculptures & Native American artifacts. Large historic building with artifacts & changing interpretive displays related to the area's past. I recommend the river view rooms, spend the extra money! First Class Adult $40.00 So much of the experience happens off the water and our trip was no exception. With a charming downtown, new restaurants and breweries, and an abundance of outdoor recreation opportunities nearby, it's easy to see why people are flocking to . All in all, we had a wonderful day with stories and memories we will cherish for years to come. Traveling along the Columbia River Gorge we were comfortable in light clothing like long sleeve shirts. My only complaint was they needed to clean their hallways. We were there as part of an ACL cruise. The rooms was very nice and cleaned. At this time I can't recommend this location. It was so nice to have all of our meals prepared for us -- fajitas, pasta, pancakes, deli sandwiches -- everything was delicious! Our family has been floating the Main Payette with friends for years, but this was our first experience using a guide or doing the South Fork, and it could not have been a better experience. Highly recommend River Drifters!!!!!! We are definitely planning another trip with her! The city of Hood River is the seat of Hood River County, Oregon, United States. Dont think about it - just click download right this minute. The staff at the hotel was so nice and helpful, this is a real gem in Eastern Oregon. The cost for a room is nothing if your having a good time and you have accommodation. In Hood River, check out Columbia Cliff Villas Hotel or the historic Hood River Hotel. Ski retreat offering 1930s lodge rooms & rustic chalets, plus an outdoor pool & dining options. The drive itself was beautiful. Have any questions? Whitewater Rafting with Cascade Raft & Kayak Possibly the highlight of our entire trip through Idaho, we did a half day rafting trip with Cascade Raft & Kayak and had an absolute blast. Zane, Brody and Paris, THANK YOU for all the good times, you guys are fabulous! Definitely worth the stop while passing through. We went the third week of July and all the inside stuff was still closed. This is the crme de la crme of planning apps! Centrally located, they have a range of clean and comfortable rooms available (each equipped with a microwave, fridge and coffeemaker) and there is free parking on site. 4. After Hood River, the traffic will drop considerably for the rest of your drive. The museum is great to walk around and just immerse yourself in historynot to mention, the team at the Warhawks Museum records Veterans stories so that they are preserved. Stay organized with a to-do list, packing list, shopping list, any kind of list. Press the question mark key to get the keyboard shortcuts for changing dates. Still would recommend a visit. Historic charm mixed with modern furniture. Been using this crew for a decade, although the owner of the original High Desert River Outfitters Co. Has passed and since has been bought out by Raft California I will try to support the new crew with continued dedication. The exterior of the museum is also beautiful, with an even lovelier view outside. Our guides got us down the river safely and took care of all of our needs in camp. We got there on a Sunday. Whatever you're kids are into (science, animals, video games, the great outdoors), there are plenty of family-friendly things to do in Portland. Read about the history of the hotel and owners before you go. baypine capital partners,