I thought that movie was brilliant. #inline-recirc-item--id-abdaf0c6-8c88-11e2-b06b-024c619f5c3d, #right-rail-recirc-item--id-abdaf0c6-8c88-11e2-b06b-024c619f5c3d { That will be a message to all of us. Gregory Peck,Diane Baker,Walter Matthau, Herbert Ross More recently, in 2008, Republican presidential candidate Sen. John McCain was rumored to have been strongly considering Democrat Joe Lieberman as his running mate. With few exceptions, academ, I love stories like this. The premise is fairly simple: Lemmons character is a Republican He appeared eight times between 1962 and 1964 on The DuPont Show of the Week and as Franklin Gaer in an episode of Dr. Kildare ("Man Is a Rock", 1964). My husband and I both love this movie, for a number of reasons. To that, Douglas says, "Oh. He was hospitalized in May 1999 for more than two months, owing again to pneumonia. Joyce Van Patten,Ben Piazza,Jackie Earle Haley, Don Siegel Two ex-presidents get into hot water when the sitting president sends a rogue NSA agent to eliminate them, to hide one of his shenanigans. This is what politics should be! Matthau's wife Carol Marcus died in 2003, and her body was interred in the same grave as her husband. Kings death left Belafonte isolated from the civil rights community. "One of the touching things is when Louis takes them out for ice cream and turns to Barbra and says, 'You're too ugly to have ice cream.' His friendship with Robeson and support for left-wing causes eventually brought trouble from the government. Slaton was nearing the end of the term, and could have dumped this into the lap of his successor. "My Fellow Americans" boasts a well-crafted and quite funny script about two former presidents and longtime political rivals who must team up to expose a criminal scheme in which the sitting chief executive is implicated. WebThe Odd Couple 1968, 105 min. The sight gags are as funny as the script. Michael Crawford,Louis Armstrong,Danny Lockin, David Miller Her father died of undiagnosed epilepsy when she was just a year old, leaving her in the hands of what Andersen describes as a "mean stepfather. He introduces his daughters Roslyn and Barbra as beauty and the beast," he told Smith. Based-on-Theatre Buddy Film Comedy of Errors. He stands as the model and the epitome of the celebrity activist. Walter Matthau, 79, Rumpled Star and Comic Icon, Dies Walter Matthau - IMDb Along the way, their efforts result in numerous farcically-staged attempts on their lives. or Create A New Account , Stanley Donen He also attended Surprise Lake Camp. List of Walter Matthau performances - Wikipedia This led to further pairings late in their careers, Out to Sea (1997) and a Simon-scripted sequel to their much earlier success, The Odd Couple II (1998). Harry Belafonte was born Harold George Bellanfanti Jr. in 1927, in a community of West Indians in Harlem. The mother wasn't much better. WebThe Odd Couple: Directed by Gene Saks. Belafonte not only participated in protest marches and benefit concerts, but helped organize and raise support for them. Matthau played three roles in the film version of Simon's Plaza Suite (1971) and was in the cast of its followup California Suite (1978). ". He was among the Black activists at a widely publicized meeting with the attorney general, when playwright Lorraine Hansberry and others stunned Kennedy by questioning whether the country even deserved Black allegiance. He said, 'You are the only one who ever intimidated me.' Two ex-Presidents of the USA, Kramer and Douglas are both bitter rivals, being one either side of the political spectrum but also having gone head to head on several campaigns. Belafonte died Tuesday of congestive heart failure at his New York home, his wife Pamela by his side, said Ken Sunshine, of public relations firm Sunshine Sachs Morgan & Lylis. Starring: Jack Lemmon,Walter Matthau,Ann-Margret, Ronald Neame When you grow up, son, Harry Belafonte remembered his mother telling him, never go to bed at night knowing that there was something you could have done during the day to strike a blow against injustice and you didnt do it. | AP Photo/Victoria Will. It makes me cry whenever i like to watch it, Morrie i think was a great person and he gave Mitch (A pupil he teached) a message, Telling him IF YOU KNOW HOW TO DIE, THEN YOU KNOW HOW TO LIVE. Matthau starred in three crime dramas in the mid-1970s, as a detective investigating a mass murder on a bus in The Laughing Policeman (1973), as a bank robber on the run from the Mafia and the law in Charley Varrick (also 1973) and as a New York transit official in the action-adventure The Taking of Pelham One Two Three (1974). I came to him with expectations and he affirmed them.. Slaton had been Governor of Georgia for two non-consecutive terms. You gotta love it. | "He really molded and shaped her as an artist when they were both young actors starting out in Greenwich Village," Andersen said. Matthau appeared in the pilot of Mister Peepers (1952) with Wally Cox. As for the growing buzz about Streisand going out on another concert tour, Andersen says she has some very good incentive. He was in Washington in January 2009 as Obama was inaugurated, officiating along with Baez and others at a gala called the Inaugural Peace Ball. Those two old pros, Jack Lemmon and James Garner, in their only film together provide quite a few laughs in what would normally be a very serious subject, a constitutional crisis. Buy or Rent on iTunes. James Coburn,Cary Grant,Audrey Hepburn, Elia Kazan Walter Matthaus opening line was Miami, Floridawhere the oranges and tourists are freshly squeezed every day. The birth of the Florida Department of Law He played detective Ted Casselle in the Hitchcockian thriller Mirage (1965), directed by Edward Dmytryk. Realizing that he was signing his own political death warrant, Slaton commuted Franks sentence to life imprisonment. Then came THE GRASS HARP, which is technically one of their joint films, but is actually a dramatization of a fine novel by Truman Capote that had an excellent ensemble cast, and that only had one scene with the two actors together. She said she wasn't pretty enough or talented enough to be in show business.". This kind of stuff only happens in the movies. And honestly, considering the lack of success of third-party and independent presidential candidates over the years, for such a pairing to be successful, it would probably take a more moderate member of one of the major parties to defect to the other side and agree to be the running mate of that major partys candidate. These three are very great actors in their own way and this movie was perfect for all three. [11] Filming had to be placed on a five-month hiatus after Matthau had a serious heart attack. Poitier was a peer, both of them skinny, brooding and vulnerable within our hard shells of self-protection, Belafonte later wrote. I recommend My Fellow Americans for everybody who likes a movie with politics and who doesn't. Matthau also received two British Academy Film Awards and a Golden Globe Award. [12] Matthau appeared during the Oscar telecast shortly after having been injured in a bicycle accident; nonetheless, he scolded actors who had not attended the ceremony, especially the other major award winners that night: Paul Scofield, Elizabeth Taylor and Sandy Dennis. Story-wise, the film revolves around Harry Hinkle (Lemmon), a cameraman who is accidentally injured while filming a When word got out that the part was open, few prominent actors werent interested. They spoke for hours, and Belafonte would remember feeling King raised him to the higher plane of social protest. Then at the peak of his singing career, Belafonte was soon producing a benefit concert for the bus boycott in Montgomery, Alabama that helped make King a national figure. One tenant liked him enough to give him free tickets to a play at the American Negro Theatre, a community repertory for black performers. As for her other romantic relationships, Andersen said Streisand nearly tied the knot with Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau of Canada. Starring: But the two seem to run into each other somewhat frequently in the early-goings and have plenty of sophomoric insults to hurl, recapturing the charm that made Grumpy Old Men so successful a few years earlier. Carter: Could a future presidential ticket include a Republican and The entire film was centered around these 2 old geezers trying to outsmart and elude the agent and his thugs. "My Fellow Americans" is a watchable little film, but ultimately it does not completely succeed. Starring: and Cactus Flower (both 1969); for the latter film, Goldie Hawn received an Oscar for Best Supporting Actress. Find on Netflix. [10] Matthau later reprised the role in the film version, with Jack Lemmon as Felix Unger. In 1963, Belafonte was deeply involved with the March on Washington. WebWalter Matthau was an American actor who was well-known his performances in theatre, feature films and television. Lincoln was assassinated just six weeks after his second-term began, and Johnson is considered by many to be the worst president in history stepping in for him. For reasons unknown he used the name Leonard Elliot. For the first time in history a woman is What she wants it for are her political causes, building a war chest for 2008 and her various philanthropist charities. Four years later, Garner is defeated by Lemmons former vice president, played by Dan Aykroyd. [16], The next year, he was nominated again for the Golden Globe Award for Best ActorMotion Picture Musical or Comedy for his portrayal of the fictional Associate Justice Daniel Snow in First Monday in October (1981). And anything unpleasant is funny for most of us. 3. Funny lines follow each other in rapid succession, and James Garner and Jack Lemon are just perfect as the two ex-presidents who detest each other but are forced to work together to survive, and gradually learn to like each othermore-or-less. The movie was very well done i think. Starring: Bobby turned red at that. Nothing is more comical than watching the two forced to sort through a recent scandal, along with an assassination plot on their lives, all the while a respect happens between the two, yet their disdain for each other adds to the hilarity of the movie. I was having almost daily talks with Martin, Belafonte wrote in his memoir My Song, published in 2011. Belafonte schooled Kennedy on the importance of King, and arranged for them to speak. And he has sort of been, I think, left in the dust, as it were. Starring: On the show, Yorke plays Brooke Dubek, one of the titular other two, a struggling 30-something in search of direction, clinging with dug-in nails to her famous brother and mother to give her some semblance of a path. Poitier shared his belief in civil rights, but still dedicated much of his time to acting, a source of some tension between them. I have to say that I totally disagree with the last comment I read on this movie. The original script, a dark work based on the novel of the same name, was rewritten and transformed into a comedy in order to play to Matthau's specific talents. With his glowing, handsome face and silky-husky voice, Belafonte was one of the first Black performers to gain a wide following on film and to sell a million records as a singer; many still know him for his signature hit Banana Boat Song (Day-O), and its call of Day-O! For the latter role he won a Golden Globe award for Best Actor in a Musical or Comedy.[14]. Walter Matthau,Joe Don Baker,Andrew Robinson, Action ThrillerCaperChase Movie, Elaine May Trending News *** out of **** (Beware, spoilers in my review). He died Tuesday of congestive heart failure at his New York home. John Heard's character (as Aykroyd's vice president) steals every scene with his naive and silly antics. Love them or hate them, its hard to argue that our current president and his predecessor were extremely polarizing among party lines. Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting. The Fortune Cookie (1966) 96%. They play very well of each other. "I believe that the deceased was a Republican, sir," he replies. I was expecting the film to be horrid as it starred Jack Lemmon (which is great) but had James Garner in place of Walter Matthau. "But even if Belafonte was so impressed that he joined as a volunteer, then as an actor. Perhaps one of the congressional Republicans who have recently announced their retirements and flamed President Trump in the process could join forces with whomever the Democrats nominate for the White House in 2020?