The formal training of the 12 was over and yet their faith was still weak. It was. The Acts of Philip provides the earliest, most detailed account of his martyrdom, but again, its hard to say how much we can trust it. (Since Taco Bell wasnt an option.). Hes also clearly one of the Twelve in the Gospel of John, though John never explicitly lists them.This means Philip was one of the people who was closest to Jesus, and that he spent about three years living with him, witnessing his miracles, and hearing his teachings. Nathanael, also referred to as Bartholomew in the gospels, was one of Jesus original twelve disciples. First is verse 3: "Philip and Bartholomew; Thomas and Matthew the tax collector.". No doubt Phillip had already begun counting heads. The latter is preserved in the names Theodore and Dorothea. Trees were planted around houses to keep them cool and shaded. The Nathaniel was skeptical. Ive already said that Phillip was a student of the Old Testament. When Jesus appeared to Philip, Philip quickly identified Him as the chosen Messiah and the one he and Nathanael had read about in the Old Testament. All rights reserved. Jesus finding you and saving you and leading you day by day, all the way into eternal lifethis is what life is all about. Nathaniel was prejudice. Not just that Jesus could see him under a fig tree. Jesus brings Philip to Himself personally and then Philip witnesses to Nathaniel and brings him to the Lord. New International Version (NIV). If you remember back to our study of Peter, Jesus didn't actually say follow me to Peter until the end of his earthly ministry (John 21:19) after his failure on the night of Jesus the trail. Of course, this was not a racial or ethnic prejudice, as many Jews would have had for the Gentiles or, as we see from the disciples later in the gospels, the Samaritans. So that would be pretty strange if that was Philip the Apostle.Much later in Acts 21:89, Paul and his companions stay at Philips house in Caesarea with his four unmarried daughters who had the gift of prophecy. What am I talking about? So dont be afraid or ashamed to invite your friends and neighbors, your family membersanyone who needs Jesusinvite them to come and see. Come and meet Jesus here at St. Matthews. It should be noted that James and John had the same father, Zebedee (Matthew 10:2) and Peter and Andrew were brothers (Matthew 10:2). It is interesting to see Jesus characterization of Nathaniel, 47 When Jesus saw Nathaniel approaching, he said of him, Here is a true Israelite, in whom there is nothing false.. For one thing, its evident that both men had been students of the Old Testament prior to meeting Jesus. The Messiah has come! I cant think of anything better. But the Gospel of John and the early church fill in some blanks and help us understand a little more about who he was. Follow me, he says to each one of us. John, however, refers to the apostle almost exclusively as Nathanael in his gospel. Hear his personal care for you. The story begins with Jesus finding Philip and saying to him, Follow me. Notice that: Jesus finds Philip. He played an active role in leading another apostle to Jesus. Can anything good come from there? Nathaniel asked. Andrew responded to the situation and brought Jesus a boy with 5 loaves and 2 fish. His prejudice caused him to be skeptical when Phillip told him that the messiah was the Nazarene. Similar to the way Andrew immediately went and found his brother Peter to tell him about Jesus, Philip swiftly approached his friend Nathanael with the good news. Nathanael also became Jesus' disciple. So Nathanael is the son of Tolmai, or Nathanael Bar-Tolmei. [2] He wanted to go by the book all the time. Just short and sweet, Come and see. Philip doesnt engage Nathanael in a prolonged argument about the merits of Nazareth. 46Nazareth! Phillip was good at finding ways to get out of doing things? Jesus proved that in His interactions with these men. Bartholomew literally means "son of Tolmai." The cross of Christ is our Jacobs ladder. So When Jesus tested his faith, Phillip responded with unbelief. In other translations, Jesus refers to him as the one in whom there is no guile.. Phillip had studied the scriptures and everything lined up. Get Your Bible Minute in Your Inbox Every Morning. He said we have found him. 43 The next day Jesus decided to leave for Galilee. You know what life is all about. We create research-based articles and handy infographics to help people understand the Bible. But when he saw the size of the crowd he began to feel overwhelmed by the impossible. Not only had he introduced his brother Nathanael to Jesus, but when Gentiles came inquiring, he and Andrew went to Jesus for and answer. He was also present at the Day of Pentecost, where he and the apostles were filled with the Holy Spirit (Acts 2:1-4). The twelve apostles opted out of this position, and then a man named Philip was chosen to be one of the Seven (Acts 6:5). He was a founding Father of the early church and among the first to be martyred. . January 14, 2018, Philip and Nathanael: A Story of Witnessing (John 1:43-51). Isn't that just like us? The ugly. No one comes to the Father except through me. Phillips closest companion is Nathaniel. Houses could get full smoke and stuffy. All of this will be our focus in guiding your youth group through Episode . . Go to Romans 9:6-7, the apostle Paul says, "For they are not all Israel who are of Israel, nor are they all children because they are deceit and Abraham.". Prejudice is feeling base. The disciple named Philip was, along with Peter and Andrew, from Bethsaida in Galilee ( John 1:44; 12:21 ). Nathanael means "gift of God." El, e-l, is the name of God. Excitedly, he tells Nathanael, "We have found him of whom Moses in the Law and also the prophets wrote." In other words, Philip is telling his fellow Jew, Nathanael, "We have found the Messiah." Later they were present in the Upper Room in one accord, when the Holy Spirit, as promised, descended upon them and they were empowered to preach and witness in Jesus name.We dont know where Philip and Nathanael may have gone or what became of them at the end of their lives. I dont believe in organized religion. See, these are the modern version of Can anything good come out of Nazareth? Can anything good come out of St. Matthew Lutheran Church? People will raise objections, and quite often its because they want to keep Gods word at arms length. The most remarkable thing about his calling was that he had simply said yes. Does the we in Philips declaration mean that he, Andrew and Peter (who may have already known each other in Bethsaida) had found the Lord? It is Elohim, a portion of Elohim. All of your sins are forgiven. Joshua in the Old Testament, which means Yahweh is salvation, or as Matthew 1:21 records for he will save his people from their sins. 6 Jesus answered, I am the way and the truth and the life. All rights reserved worldwide. He simply says, Come and see. Thats it. Then Philip identifies this Messiah by name, Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph. But notice Nathanaels response: Can anything good come out of Nazareth? Apparently Nathanael, as one well-versed in the Scriptures, knew that there was no particular prophecy linking the Messiah to the city of Nazareth. By his being lifted up on the cross, he raises us up from the depths of sin and death. He didn't need to see any further proof. He in turn went and found his brother Simon, who would come to be called Peter. Besides if Andrew got in trouble that would be Andrew's problem. You shall see greater things than that. 51 He then added, I tell you the truth, you shall see heaven open, and the angels of God ascending and descending on the Son of Man.. Though not much is known about Nathanaels background or personality, the apostle is revealed in the gospels to be an honest, insightful, and faithful servant of Jesus Christ and student of the Old Testament. Article Images Copyright 2023 Getty Images unless otherwise indicated. Does that have to do with Martin Luther King? Church? He belonged to the town to which Jesus was going (Cana of, Galilee, John 21:2 ). These were either God-fearing Gentiles, or full-fledged Hellenistic Jews on their way to Jerusalem for the Passover. Beyond that, Nazareth may have carried some negative baggage for Nathanael. There he is called, "Nathanael of Cana in Galilee.". But we can assume that their commitment to Jesus was complete and that their lives counted in the spread of the gospel and the establishment of the church.Prayer. Though not much is known about Nathanael beyond the gospels, church history suggests that Nathanael traveled beyond Judea to minister to parts of Persia and India, perhaps going as far as Armenia, whose church claims him as their saint and founder to this day. His first response after meeting Jesus was to find his friend Nathaniel and tell him about a messiah. James and John were brothers. Try Bible Gateway Plus free today! Because he had a Greek name. 48 How do you know me? Nathaniel asked. One record says he died of natural causes. You have the word of God as your anchor and stay. Philip was from Bethsaida, the same city as his friend Andrew. Nathanael - The True Israelite Believed to Be the Apostle Bartholomew. Of Nathanael, Jesus said, behold, an Israelite, indeed, in whom there is no deceit! (John 1:47). Does God Really Work All Things Together for Good? The good. Sort of like Merrillville. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website. The Apostle Philip is only mentioned a handful of times in the New Testamentseven times in the gospels and once in Acts. The Synoptic Gospels list Philip as one of the apostles. They had the same background, the same experiences in following our Lord. No one ever passed through Cana. After the resurrection, Nathanael would go on to be a key leader in the early church, taking the gospel to the ends of the earth as commissioned by his lord and savior. Invite the folks you knowyour friends and neighbors and your family membersinvite them to come and see. Phillip had a lack of vision. Virtually everything we know about Nathaniel comes from Johns account of his call to discipleship in the wilderness shortly after Jesus is baptized. According to John, Nathaniel came from the small town of Cana in Galilee, the place where Jesus did his first miracle. But Jesus just couldnt be contained in Phillips book. Like the Apostle Thomas, Philips only significant mentions come in the Gospel of John (and theyre still not that significant). Or I know that you praise me all the way to work, 49 Then Nathaniel declared, Rabbi, you are the Son of God; you are the King of Israel.. Aside from the lists of apostles in Matthew, Mark, Luke, and Acts, Philip appears in four narratives in the Gospel of John. Many believers came to Christ under his preaching. Philips personality, led him to say, I don't think we can do that., 7 Philip answered him, Eight months wages would not buy enough bread for each one to have a bite!. No hope to sustain you. Copyright 2023, Bible Study Tools. (1) St John, who twice mentions the name of Nathanael, never mentions that of Bartholomew; (2) the three Synoptists mention Bartholomew but not Nathanael. Phillip was the first one to hear those words and obey them. Jesus cross is our Jacobs ladder. Luke writes: So the Twelve gathered all the disciples together and said, It would not be right for us to neglect the ministry of the word of God in order to wait on tables. Prior to this eventful day, however, none of the Twelve had been ordained or set apart to their sacred office. He was familiar with what the prophets had said. Phillip eventually got the message. We know that Judas was in charge of the money, so it made sense that someone else would be in charge of coordination and distribution of meals and supplies. The former is found in Numbers 1:8; 1Chronicles 2:14. We dont learn much about Philip from the synoptic gospels or Book of Actsin fact, pretty much all we learn is that hes always listed with Bartholomew. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. Come and see. Come and see if you too wont encounter the Messiah, the Savior sent from God, in this person Jesus I want you to meet.. Either that or because he was the administrator of the group. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work. But ultimately, above all, when we talk about our church, we want to talk about the one who is the very heart and center of our church, the churchs whole reason for existence. Can anything good come from there?' Nathanael asked. Like we sang earlier: Love that found mewondrous thought! The Son of Man came to seek and to save that which was lost. Thats where we werelost, wandering aimlessly, not looking for God. John writes, Philip found Nathanael and said to him, we have found Him of whom Moses in the Law and also the Prophets wrote Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph (John 1:45). As a Bible scholar, he could have said, but wait, the messiah comes out of Bethlehem not Nazareth.. (Micah 5:2) or he could have said, But scripture tells us that he rules from Jerusalem, not Nazareth. Phillip should have known better he had lived with Jesus day in and day out, 24 hours a day, seven days a week, for over 18 months. Its easy to read the gospels and Acts and not even notice that there are two different Philips. He hadnt put on a show or pretended to be something he was not to impress anyone, let alone Jesus. And so it goes. . Dont you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? Why do you think the Greeks would seek out Phillip? It was a kind of private outdoor space -- perfect for meditation, reflection, and solitude. Truly, truly, I say to you, you will see heaven opened, and the angels of God ascending and descending on the Son of Man. In Christ, the kingdom of heaven comes down to earth. This website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website. -- His response to Jesus to follow him was without hesitation. Let me tell you about him. Maybe he didnt think very highly of that town, we dont know. Can anything good come from there? Nathaniel asked. This was not flattery. Heaven and earth meet in him. Now, let's go on and look at group two, and we're going to cover two of them this time, and two of them next time. Hes one of four people named Philip in the Bible, and hes often confused with Philip the Evangelist, who plays a minor role in Acts. That would have been left to the more academically gifted students at the time. By all accounts he was martyred like the rest of the apostle's, except John. Nathanael does come and he does see. If we look at that phrase in the Greek, its translated as truly, genuine Israelite. We put God in a box and when he doesn't respond the way we want him to, we demand miracles and signs that suit our image of what God should be and do. It was Jesus who found Philip! The same word introduces Simon Peter in vs. 41, and Nathanael in vs. 45. That's why Jesus asked Phillip where they could buy bread. Dont you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? John 14:610. He was in charge of arranging meals and logistics for Jesus and his disciples. Likewise, Philip, when Jesus called him, went to his brother Nathanael and said, We have found Him (meaning the Messiah foretold by Moses and the prophets). As we saw earlier we know that it was Phillip who introduced Nathaniel to Jesus. One of the best trees to plant near your house is a fig tree. After this Jesus revealed himself again to the disciples by the Sea of Tiberias, and he revealed himself in this way. Sign up now for the latest news and deals from Bible Gateway! You are headed toward heaven and eternal life with your Lord and with all his saints. No thanks. (One tradition also claims hes mentioned in another verse, though not by name.) When Jesus spoke out against the religious establishment in Jerusalem, the religious leaders just chalked that up to his coming from lowly Nazareth. These were Andrew, John, Simon Peter, Philip, Nathanael, James, and Levi Matthew. How well could you feed 5000 people? Some traditions tell of Nathanael being flayed alive in Armenia. Never-the-less Phillip had a good heart and took the Jews to Andrew. Can anything good come from there?" Nathanael asked. Cana is off the beaten track, sort of like the little town pastor lives in. Bartholomew would have been Nathanaels Hebrew surname, meaning son of Tolmai. Nathanael, his first name, means God has given. Nathanael, therefore, would have been known formally as Nathanael, son of Tolmai, or Nathanael Bar-Tolmai. Phillip had the heart of an evangelist. This is as good as it gets! Of course, no reliable record exists of how Nathanael died. The principal obstacle to the identification of Philip as the Baptist's disciple is the failure of the Gospel to supply that identification. How could he now say, "Show us the father"? He gives me meaning and purpose and hope in life. How can you say no? Peter and Andrew were early followers of John the Baptist. So it is for us in our witness. Think about it, If minimum wage is $5.50/hr x 40 hours x 33 weeks = $7260. I suppose we would be equally surprised if Jesus said, I know what a faithful servant you are because I know that you get up every morning at 6:30 and go into the family room to pray. What does the name Nathaniel mean biblically? Here are the facts, you can only drawl one conclusion. Fun fact: Johns desire to tell us who said what is the reason Thomas got stuck with the infamous moniker, Doubting Thomas. For some reason Practical Philip didnt catch on, though. We're not talking about physical dissent from Abraham or genetics, and but rather having a pure heart, without hypocrisy. The Gospel of John recounts Philip's calling as a disciple of Jesus. In this instance, Nathanaels prejudice was confronted with the obvious, observable, and undeniable truth of who Jesus was. However, John's account makes it very clear that each of the disciples had to encounter Jesus personally. Though Cana itself was not a particularly remarkable village, Nathanaels disdain for Nazareth indicates a certain civic pride and pretension on the part of the Nathanael. Polycrates seems to have clearly blurred the two Philips, and Eusebius never caught the mistake. Nathanael is the Hebrew of the Greek word Theodorus, God's gift. Next group comes James, Lebbaeus or Thaddaeus, Simon the Zealot, and Judas Iscariot. From now on, you do know him and have seen him. Come and see. God knows just what it takes to reach each of us. Philip died sometime in the first century, possibly around 80 AD. Nathanael: Oh, Hello! He's not questioning his friend Philip, but a true Bible scholar would be sure to test the spirits. We do know that Nathaniel was to faithful to the end, because he was faithful from the start. Bartholomew = son of Tolmai, probably to be identified with Nathanael. Philip and Bartholomew are frequently mentioned together in the Synoptic Gospels, although Nathanael is never mentioned. Copyright 2019 by Zondervan. The following day Jesus wanted to go to Galilee and He found Philip and said to him, Follow Me. Now Philip was from Bethsaida, the city of Andrew and Peter. Rabbit trail about a fig tree: houses in that culture were mostly small -- generally made up of one room. Matthew received his calling as Jesus was leaving Capernaum. What Do We Know about Nathanael the Disciple without Deceit. Who Was Herod? [9], "John Wesley's Notes on the Gospel according to Saint John: Chapter 1", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Nathanael_(follower_of_Jesus)&oldid=1149908118, This page was last edited on 15 April 2023, at 05:57. The bad. He is here to open heaven for us. Most Bible scholars believe Nathanael and Bartholomew were the same person. Among these are Philip, one of the twelve apostles, who sleeps in Hierapolis, and his two aged virgin daughters, and another daughter who lived in the Holy Spirit and now rests at Ephesus.. Thats how it was for Philip. Nathanael is a boy's name of Hebrew origin that means "God has given." In the Bible, Nathanael came from Cana in Galilee and was an early follower of Jesus. He reappears (as "Nathanael of Cana") at the end of John's Gospel, as one of the disciples to whom Jesus appeared at the Sea of Galilee after the Resurrection. ",[4] but nonetheless, he accepts Philip's invitation to find out. Jesus knew Nathanaels heart. 5 When Jesus looked up and saw a great crowd coming toward him, he said to Philip, Where shall we buy bread for these people to eat?. The earliest identification of Nathanael with one of the Twelve Disciples is found in the 2nd-century Epistula Apostolorum, where he is identified with or takes the place of James, son of Alpheus. How can you say, Show us the Father? Follow me, learn from me, as my disciples. From now on, you do know him and have seen him. Philip said, Lord, show us the Father and that will be enough for us. Jesus answered: Dont you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Philip preached the Faith in Greece and he was martyred at Hierapolis in Persia in the year 62. A second difficulty is the way in which Philip's name is introduced. So if you wanted to escape the noise and the stifling atmosphere the house, you could go outside and rest under the fig tree. We have to assume that Nathaniel was still questioning whether Jesus is the true messiah. Can anything good come out of Nazareth? You likewise may encounter objections when you start to tell someone about Jesus. Not linked to together using the conjunction and like we see what the brothers Peter and Andrew or James and John. Jesus couldn't have known where I Nathaniel had been or what he had been doing and unless he had been omniscient. Clement of Alexandria, who lived in the second and third century, claimed that this unnamed disciple was Philip: If they quote the Lords words to Philip, Let dead bury their dead, but do thou follow me . So, yes, you do have something to tell others about, something absolutely exciting and joyful! . He would walk with Jesus during His subsequent forty days on earth, witness His miracle on the Sea of Galilee (John 21:1-8), eat breakfast with Jesus on the shores of Galilee (John 21:9-14), receive Christs great commission (Matthew 28:19-20), and observe Jesus final ascension into heaven (Acts 1:9-11). How can we get there., The disciples think theyre going to the Fathers house soon, and Jesus responds, If you really know me, you will know my Father as well., Philips basically trying to demonstrate his faith by saying, I dont even care about the details. In the verses before ours, John tells us that Andrew was one of two men who had been John the Baptist's disciples. He was so engrossed in his commonsense calculation, that he couldn't see an opportunity for the supernatural. He had witnessed creative and recreative miracles. Grow in your knowledge and faith. Jesus calls us to keep on following him, in a lifelong journey of faith. Can anything good come out of Nazareth? This question may have been precipitated by the lack of culture, unpolished speech and moral laxity sometimes attributed to Nazareth. Let's go! That being said, we know Nathanael went on to play an important role in the formation of the early church, taking the gospel to the ends of the earth, as Jesus had commissioned His disciples to do before His ascension (Matthew 28:19-20). For less than $5/mo. In other words between all the disciples -- at least 12 of them and probably more like 70 -- all they had was eight months worth of a single laborers wages. Simon and, probably, James were brought to Jesus by their brothers. If we stretched the metaphor, we might consider it to be the wrong side of the tracks. Unless you looking for the shrine built upon the supposed location of where Jesus turned water into wine you probably wouldn't want to go there. That is the most important thing in your life. In fact, it is your life! [2][6], Although Nathanael is sometimes identified with Bartholomew the Apostle mentioned in the Synoptic Gospels and Acts 1:13. (C) 45Philip found Nathanael(D) and told him, We have found the one Moses wrote about in the Law,(E) and about whom the prophets also wrote(F)Jesus of Nazareth,(G) the son of Joseph.(H). How can you say, Show us the Father? Philip then probably went with Jesus and found Nathanael at or near Cana ( John 1:48 ). Prejudice cuts a lot of people off from the truth. While hanging there, Philip preached, and the crowd was moved to release them. 11 Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the miracles themselves. After Nathanaels initial hesitancy and question, and Jesus statement that He had seen Nathanael under the fig tree caused him to take notice of this Rabbi. By the grace of God, Nathanael was chosen to follow Christ. And this business about the angels of God ascending and descending? . Jacob had a dream about a ladder running between heaven and earth. "Come and see," said Philip. [5] Some scholars hold that Jesus' quote "Before Philip called you, when you were under the fig tree, I saw you", is based on a Jewish figure of speech, referring to studying the Torah. After all Andrew could introduce anyone to Jesus. Little is written about him the Gospels and book of Acts. Matthews? 45 Philip found Nathaniel and told him, We have found the one Moses wrote about in the Law, and about whom the prophets also wroteJesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph.. Jesus wasn't physically present to see Nathaniel under the fig tree, and Nathaniel knew that. Allegedly, he converted a proconsuls wife, which angered the proconsul enough to have him and Bartholomew crucified upside down. Jesus has found you and called you to follow him. Remember that? The one who died for me and rose again, that I might live. Well, Phillip has my job. While it's easy to gloss over this quick interaction, a few key insights into Nathanael's character can be gleaned from this verse. Instead he told Jesus that I couldn't be done. Just like he finds us. The Synoptics describe the actual calling of these men to . Do you have the excitement and joy of a Philip? Jesus is telling them in this clearest possible language that he is God and to know him is to know the father. Whether Philips statement was foolish or simply bold, it gave Jesus another opportunity to directly assert his divinity, and help us understand his relationship to the Father. Here we receive a foretaste of the feast to come. The Apostles Philip and Nathanael. we first meet Phillip the day after Jesus called Andrew, John, and Peter. These cookies do not store any personal information. He found Philip and said to him, "Follow me." 44 Now Philip was from Bethsaida, the city of Andrew and Peter. Jesus is calling you to be his disciple. Cana is very close to Jesus hometown of Nazareth. Why Does God Compare Our Relationship with Him to That of a Bride and Groom? You may meet resistance when you tell others that you have found Jesus and his gifts present here at St. Matthew Lutheran Church. But even a Galileans looked down on the Nazarene's. Joel Ryanis an author, writing professor, and contributing writer for Salem Web Network and Lifeway. If you have any questions, please review our Privacy Policy or email us at privacy@biblegateway.com. Jesus has just told them that his Fathers mansion has many rooms and hes going to prepare a place for them and come back and get them. Weve met him! This recalls the story of Jacobs ladder. By and large he didn't see the whole picture, or the end of the road. They were companions and had probably known each other for years. He who has seen Me has seen the Father.. Save 15% for life on BibleGateway+ with code SPRINGSTUDY15. We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website. Jesus responds (seemingly harshly), Let the dead bury their own dead, but you go and proclaim the kingdom of God (Luke 9:60). Now of course, there are many things about our congregation we can talk about, positive things, the various aspects of our life together: the camaraderie and the fellowship, the friendliness of our members, the potlucks and the friendships we enjoy. After Philip finds Nathanael and tells him they have found the Messiah, the One who was promised in the Law of Moses and the Prophets, Nathanael makes his way to see this Jesus. And yet James was the first to die, and John was the last. No? Philip found Nathanael and told him, 'We have found the one Moses wrote about in the Law, and about whom the prophets also wroteJesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph.' 'Nazareth! And when they come, what they will find here is Jesus giving out his gifts. What have you found that you can tell others about? We need to take a little rabbit trail here in so that you can get the scope of his prejudice. Another says he was beheaded. We know this because after the resurrection these apostles returned to Galilee with Peter and resumed their fishing trade (John 21 ).