During this time, the two leads had been working tirelessly to uncover the efforts of the cruel cannibalistic murderer, only to disturbingly stumble upon the revelation that Zack had been his. He needed to find his own purpose. Deschanel revealed in a 2019 interview that David Boreanaz was one reason why she has such fondness regarding her memories of filming. TVGuide.com: Did you consider making anyone else the Gormogon's apprentice? However, Cam refuses to accept it and accuses Hodgins of tampering with evidence to get Zack freed. At the end of Season 3, it is revealed that Zack is the secret apprentice of the Gormogon, a cannibalistic serial killer, the latest in a long line of cannibalistic serial killers of a centuries . Love of singing? Or even just peeked in?Some good writing could have dealt with all these. He didnt suddenly turn into a completely different person (Kevin Spacy in The Usual Suspects style), and the others clearly still care about him. Brennan shot that woman last episode, did she deserve to die? His sole quirks and markers were the result of his rational brain. First Appearance Though Hodgins tells her to throw it out if she doesn't trust him, Cam is seen going through it once Hodgins leaves. I know that he did something that we consider wrong; killing an innocent man is not something people let go of easily. Written by I think they made the right choice in The Verdict in The Story to not include a normal case they managed to cram a lot in, without it feeling too rushed. In other words, Zack believes he killed the lobbyist; but, from a legal standpoint, he is considered only an accessory or co-conspirator. Dr. Goodman often treated Zack in a boss-employee situation. Also in the first season, he reveals to Dr. Brennan he uses his vacation time to visit his family. However, while the evidence exonerates Zack of murder, it does not clear him of the charge of aiding a known killer and he will have to finish out the last thirteen months of his sentence on that charge. In the final episode of season three, The Pain in the Heart, Zack receives third-degree burns and massive tissue damage (the cartilage on his left hand was destroyed, among other things) on both hands after an explosion in the lab. The stocker obviously was about to shoot Bones when she realized that Bones made her shoot Booth (from the stocker perspective). It can very well be implied that Zack and Hodgins have a strong bond by their almost 13 year long friendship and by the fact that neither of them referred to anyone else as their best friend, even after Zack was sent to the psychiatric ward. Applied engineering. Why did Zach help Gormogon? It all seemed very rushed and sloppy; not at all thought out. Zack Addy: murderer - Bones In season three, a shocking twist revealed Addy was working with the season's big bad The Gormogon, and even killed . However, as he aided a known killer, that charge still stands and Zack will have to serve out the remaining thirteen months of his sentence for that crime, something he gladly accepts. When Zack Addy caused an explosion that tore his hands apart, it gave Gormogon enough time to sneak into the Jeffersonian to steal the Silver Skeleton. I like him for his quirky, awkward, and interesting self. In an attempt to overturn Zack's sentence, Booth summons Dr. Gordon Wyatt to observe Sweets's notes on his meetings with Zack when the Gormogon case hits a dead end. Zack is, and always has been, socially inept. TVGuide.com: Right. She acknowledges, to a point, her heart and therefore can incorporate it into her decision-making. Also, Brennans father and Zack.. In "The Pain in the Heart," the final episode of Season 3, Zack receives third-degree burns and massive tissue damage (the cartilage on his left hand was destroyed, among other things) on both hands after an explosion in the lab. And, then, theres Sweets, one of the worst characters in all of television, a snarky, thoroughly detestable mamby-pamby personality, with a phony as a two-cent piece job, created to give the writers an easy way out of exploring the relationship between Bones and Booth. Thank you for the respectful disagreement. In The Day in the Life, Zack represents himself at his appeal, having studied courtroom procedure for many years. List of Appearances He initially seems inclined to go, but after talking about the reality of war with Booth, he seems less sure, asking Booth for advice because he "knows more about duty and honor than anyone else" he knows. Zack is somewhat distanced from his emotions, so it was as though the interior part of him was sorry but his intellect didn't know it. Towards the end of the episode, Zack escapes from the institution. Plus, since Sweets has become a more permanent cast member, we have seen that he is sneaky, smart, caniving, and able to manipulate people easilythe makings of a great apprentice. Haha, anon you make many great points. Science is striving to create robots unconcerned with emotions. Zack is not insane and Sweets knows it. In The Girl in Suite 2103, Zack tells Cam that his closest friend outside the lab is a female performance artist. Episode 15 WATCH VIDEO: Eric Millegan Talks Bones. It just doesnt make sense to me. But they have drawn more and more into other relationships leaving him more isolated, more vulnerable. At least things would have been less confusing and more thought out. ("Two Bodies in the Lab"). 3. Don't you think? Brennan agreed to re-examine the evidence on Ray Porter's remains to find the real killer and Booth agreed to help release Zack believing that he has served his time. The evidence is ultimately thrown out as later revealed in The Steal in the Wheels. He was really worried that his fans would turn against him. Porters actual killer is the Gormogons second apprentice, who the Gormogon had killed before recruiting Zack, contrary to Zack admitting to the murder in the season 3 finale. He is used to isolation and being on his own. Zack also seems to be the only one who readily competes with Hodgins to be "King of the lab", a title claimed by the one who makes a pivotal discovery or conclusion detrimental to a murder investigation. The two then enlisted the help of Angela Montenegro who displayed a map of Washington, DC with the original boundary lines before Virginia reclaimed everything west of the Potomac in 1792. But at this point I am just speculating. The timeline I seem to have is that at any point Gormogon has an apprentice so in my mind the Zack timeline is: Gormogon and Pre Zack apprentice kill: Gavin Nichols, Father Douglas Cooper, Mr Porter the lobbyist. Nobody ever thinks badly about soldiers who commit murders in war because they consider it justified on behalf of their patriotism to their country. well above 163 with an eidetic memory. After sharing that little moment, Hodgins then hands him a copy of the team's latest case file, noting that Zack might be able to see something that they had missed. In his session with Sweets, Zack admits to feeling guilty for killing the lobbyist, but argued he committed the crime for what had appeared to be perfectly logical reasons at the time. It didn't even make sense with his character. There are many fans upset with the revelation that our beloved Zack could be gone. Hodgins is seen twisting his wedding ring when he mentioned Zack, possibly thinking about how much he misses him. Gormogon case still being open. Zack also carpools with Hodgins because he neither drives nor rides a bike as was revealed in The Man on Death Row. It would have been much MUCH less painful. The first step in Zacks apology tour is the Jeffersonian, where, as you may recall, he just kidnapped Brennan in order to win her trust. After being framed in Season 12 as the Puppeteer, Zack recants his confession in the murder of Ray Porter, having realized that he could never take a life, even in self-defense. In The Flaw in the Saw, Hodgins finds evidence that can exonerate Zack, but Cam refuses to accept it and accuses Hodgins of planting evidence to free Zack. it seems to me a lot of what appears to be loose ends are actually due to the fact that Brennan likes to ignore difficult emotions. Booth, Bones partner, the person shes closest to, the one we all know is the love of her life DIES and its all wrapped up in 5 minutes before the credits. Its not at all logical that Zack, who has been dedicated to saving peoples lives as a member of the team would suddenly turn his back on the only people he has connected tooand he does have a large loving family. As the Gormogon's apprentice, Zack worships him and calls the Gormogon "the Master." He gave "The Master" information about the lab, made a set of false teeth for him out of canines taken from the bone storage and also claims to have aided him in the murder of Ray Porter. Angela is sick, presumably from the night before, but reveals to Brennan that shes pregnant. It wasnt a very serious conversation. At the end of the episode, prosecutor Caroline Julian says while Zack has confessed to killing Ray Porter; she's willing to work out a deal to have him declared non-compos mentis, a decision committing him to an asylum rather than prison. In The Flaw in the Saw, Hodgins works to find evidence to exonerate Zack. Zack begins to receive psychological treatment from Sweets (The Perfect Pieces in the Purple Pond). Brennan is rationally capable of taking a life? And for that we should feel sad. The approval letter states that the judge approved the appeal to consider new osteological evidence. While the Acacia Tree symbolizes the immortality of the soul, it is also inedible and poisonous as the Apprentice would've been to the Gormogon, thus making it the perfect place to bury a poisonous outcast apprentice. The episode ends with Zack at the sanitarium and Sweets keeping Zack's secret, despite his visible worries about Zack. Zack mentions forensic anthropology is only one of his doctorates, the other is in applied engineering, and he is extremely adept at practical aeronautics. What episode does Zack become Gormogon apprentice? Aliens in a Spaceship (Season 2, Episode 9). My best friend is locked up in a loony bin, wearing gloves because he blew up his own hands, and he feels sorry for me.Hodgins. In The Hope in the Horror, Zack told Aubrey that he and Booth are not friends and thus he did not monitor Booth as he did the rest of the team. After Booth relinquishes Zack to Sweets' hands, Zack admits to not killing Ray Porter and that the previous apprentice had killed the lobbyist instead. As the Gormogons apprentice, Zack worships him and calls the Gormogon the Master. After having fallen under the Gormogons sway, Zack was willing to betray his friends to aid the Gormogon and believed himself capable of committing murder on the Gormogons orders. Come on now. The Gormogon is a fictional character featured in a story arc of Season 3 of the Fox drama Bones . Caroline Julian argues that Hodgins could've planted the evidence due to its unusually compelling nature after so many years have passed since the case was presented, but Hodgins testifies that while examining the Apprentice's body, he established a protocol so that no one would examine the remains or any case-related evidence alone in the lab to prevent someone from doing such a thing and to ensure that no such allegations could be brought against anyone in court. It's later revealed he was working as the apprentice of The Gormogon and the explosion was designed as a distraction so the Gormogon could break into the lab and steal a skeleton. Booths fake death. In The Flaw in the Saw, Cam accused Hodgins of planting evidence to free Zack. Zul'Gurub (ZG) will release on April 15th at 3:00pm PDT on all realms. Deceased Instead I find its more polite to ignore those mistakes that dont really matter, and I dont think writing comments about a TV show is all that important! Doesnt this mean that Zach is the new Master? After a failed search by Doctor Gordon Wyatt through Lance Sweets' notes on his sessions with Zack for useful information, Hodgins instead turned his efforts to locating the body of the Apprentice, Ray Porter's true killer so as to examine it for evidence pointing to his guilt instead of Zack's. Zack was a child prodigy with an I.Q. Im sure they were told the truth. Alive Zack then goes to ask Angela for fashion advice, and she gives him a complete makeover that includes a new haircut and suit. After getting the location of the Acacia Trees, Hodgins led a team to search them for the Apprentice's body. . Zacks entire personality, as most people view the concept, was defined by imitating others. Just because Zach is very much plausible to be Gormogon, do they really have to go in that direction? Sadly, it was a sacrifice of Eric Mulligan in the process. TVGuide.com: The Bones cast and crew is still at work, right? The idea could have played better, if it wasnt squished into a 5 minute scene. In the Season 4 finale, Zack is considered a suspect when a man is murdered in a popular nightclub owned by Booth and Dr. Brennan. Sweets became Zack's psychologist after he was institutionalized. Former series regular Eric Millegan, who returned in the season 11 finale, continues his role as Zack Addy in the final season. Your argument is . Zack later breaks out of the mental institution to protect Brennan from The Puppeteer. Brennan is then later able to use that fact to prove that protecting Hodgins went above his own beliefs to get him to turn on the Gormogon. Though, I dont agree with it, I did enjoy reading such a different opinion of Zacks characteristics. I am delighted for our show, and for Eric Millegan, that some people are furious. really bad response would have been silence. He is very literal and is often confused by colloquial expressions or metaphors, despite his high intelligence. If they would have stretched the finale into multiple episodes, they could have done wonders for the plot and all the events that took place. Why did Zack help Gormogon in Bones? )Zack: If you knew what I know, youd understand. When he returned to the asylum after helping the team solve the murder of Jared Addison, Zack tells Sweets that, while he had helped Gormogon find the lobbyist, he himself had not actually stabbed him. What his duties there would be are not revealed, and he only tells Hodgins and Booth about it. The Apprentice Gormogon kills his apprentice to make room for Zack. He was originally Dr. Brennan's brilliant young assistant at the beginning of the series before he received his doctorate in Forensic Anthropology in the series' second season. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. He is ultimately my favorite character and I hate to see him go. Maybe I should have just said Booth in bath tub woohoo!. Zack's last appearance to date was in The Parts in the Sum of the Whole, which was a flashback to the first case Booth and Brennan worked together. There are far fewer people who like Sweets vs those who like Zack. Not that theres anything left of it with Zach gone anyway. Zack Addy was revealed as the current apprentice of Gormogon, it was established that he was Porter's killer. But they didnt. Oh, hell yes. As the Gormogon's apprentice, Zack worships him and calls the Gormogon "the Master." After having fallen under the Gormogon's sway, Zack was willing to betray his friends to aid the Gormogon and believed himself capable of committing murder on the Gormogon's orders. The whole reason this group is together is for science and to help Booth catch the bad guys and right in the middle of that Zack killed someone, specifically someone Booth already tried to save. Based on the new evidence, the judge overturns Zack's murder conviction and life sentence in the murder of Ray Porter. But before you go off in a rage at Hanson's blunt assessment of arguably one of the series' most . He was quickly disabused of the notion by his colleagues. However, Zack's loyalty to his friends is shown to be stronger than his loyalty to the Gormogon as he was willing to injure himself rather than harm Hodgins, something that would've been against what the Gormogon taught him. Gormogon wouldn't have cannibalized on his remains because they were probably poisonous to him, symbolically. The subtle hints were shown to Bones in her dreams, Booth was quick to pick on it when he read her psychologist's notes about dreaming of Wendell's "burned" hands. Who turns out to be Gormogon in Bones? Were not supposed to see Zack as bad. Booth got to be a hero, Brennan got to help him fight, everyone who mattered saw the truth at once, and she got to slug him publicly.Bs emotions Brennan is afraid of love. I am not exactly *cough* a people person and the kids at my school always seem like idiots to me because I dont get the point of standing around for 30 minutes and kicking a ball around and so I end up isolating myself because I worry about insulting them. Sweets insist Zack change his story, but Zack refuses because he fears that if his secret were to come out, he will find himself in prison, where he is assured, by Hodgins, to do very poorly at. He left the show in season 3 when he falsely admitted to killing the lobbyist in the Gormogon case. Which, leads me to believe that neither he or anyone else really bothered to try to socialize (probably because it was out of his comfort zone). It has been speculated that due to his close friendship with Hodgins, he would be re-hired at the Jeffersonian after his release, reuniting them once again. 3AKY14 While he does not necessarily enjoy these visits because they referred to him as a "freak" once they found out his job, he tell her that he goes because they love him ("The Man in the Wall"). Zack is more rational but Brennan is more complete. All very valid. Wouldnt he be far more imprinted on his mentors in the Jeffersonian, whose raison detre was finding murderers to ensure a better society. Not to mention all the crying Ill be doing when I buy Season 3! Begin typing your search term above and press enter to search. P.S. I really hope they bring Zack back. He decides that the time has finally come for him to re-enter society. The character who was gone the longest before returning was, Zack was mentioned to dance like a marionette in a windstorm in, He had an eyepatch when he was six as did many other boys as Hodgins implied in, Zack revealed that he used to be a singer when he was younger in, Zack's character can be seen as a facsimile of the Marvel Comic book hero. Pictures of Zack were seen during Hodgins' dialogue. How could he ever have interacted with such a person, much less made him dentures out of Jeffersonian teeth? In "The Pain in the Heart", Zack's care for his friends is shown: even when working for the Gormogon, he protects Hodgins when he knew he'd seriously injure himself in the process.