Neither the author nor Outdoor Sportsman Group/Shooting Times assumes any liability for accidents or injury resulting from the use or misuse of this data. Custom engraved by Jere Davidson. I am taking possession of a Model 43 tomorrow in 218 Bee that has an original Model 43 barrel w/o sights. 94 W. Cochran St., Suite B Winchester Mod 43 Std 22 Hornet Factory Drilled Nice. Lastly, in late 1950, Winchester began to drill and tap receivers for scopes. 2023 Outdoor Sportsman Group. If you use these links, it helps me continue to put out free content for viewers. Since I fell into three or four NOS ones, Im going to have it cut off and welded to a piece of 12-32 to use for an inletting and bedding screw. Barrel and receiver are in near excellent condition save some aging and usage marks. Remington dropped it from production several years ago, and Winchester makes only an occasional production run of ammo and unprimed cases. The Mossberg 500 Pump Action Shotgun is one of the most popular home defense shotguns on the market. Please try a new zip code and search again. I have a Winchester Model 43 32-20 Serial number 3694. Bert I have a number of Model 43 218s and one 25 20. According to Hartmans extensive research, this transition occurred between serial numbers 4,100 6,200. The barrel is proof marked consistent with having left New Haven on a rifle specifically set up to be used with a scope. The only part that was changed was the breech bolt cocking sleeve, and if needed, a bolt could be adapted to the other model by changing this part to the correct one. With the serial number, I can tell you precisely when your Model 43 was manufactured. Markings:The left side of the barrel is marked MADE IN NEW HAVEN, CONN. U.S. OF AMERICA / WINCHESTER PROOF STEEL WINCHESTER / TRADE MARK / MODEL 43-218 BEE. Numrich Gun Parts Corporation A World Record Attempt and everyone is out at the range shooting and practicing. I set an aluminum tubing column to support the rear action screw without having to worry about the wood compressing. It had a 24-inch barrel, a detachable three-round magazine, and Winchester's speed-lock bolt with dual-opposed locking lugs. Wow! Jul 30, 2014 (Edited) A while back I purchased this Winchester Model 43 in .218 Bee, without doing a great deal of research on it. Thank you for the support! STORE HOURS 10AM - 6 PM MON - SAT EST. The barrel of the T/C carbine I have has a 1:14 twist. Manufactured from 1948 to 1953, the Model 43 was chambered for the 25-20 Win, 32-20 Win, 218 Bee, and 22 Hornet cartridges. The Model 43 was a replacement for the Model 65 lever-action rifle made by Winchester. Another benefit to the thicker brass is longer case life for the .218 Bee when both cartridges are loaded to maximum velocities. My all-time favorite rifle in .218 Bee, and the only one capable of consistently shooting its preferred bullets inside a half-inch at 100 yards, is a Sako L46 (its shown in the introductory photo to this report). Give a Gift If I can come up with a receiver I have a barrel that is pitted at the breach end that I can cut off and make up a cute little varmint rifle for my kids with. I took the corrosion off by rolling the barrel and receiver on my bench stones for about a week in the evenings and saved all of the roll markings on both. I most certainly can. Just thinking ahead. RifleShooter Magazine editor Scott Rupp breaks down all the features of the Mossberg Patriot Predator rifle chambered in 6.5 PRC. Joseph VonBenedikt is with Joel Hodgdon to talk about the improved accuracy and long-range potential of the already reliable Core-Lokt ammo line. Official Web Site Of The Winchester Arms Collectors Association. To get started, click the link below to visit mymagnow.com and learn how to access your digital magazine. A good choice for Winchester collectors or .218 Bee fans. Following high school, Kurt enlisted in the United States Air Force as a Boom Operator, where he eventually rose to the position of Instructor. Bullets heavier than 45 grains can be used, but most rifles in .218 Bee have barrels with a rifling twist rate of 1:16 inches, which can be too slow to stabilize them in flight. The screw heads are sharp. Deluxe checkered stock with fancy figured walnut stock and Winchester pistol grip cap. Ive got one Hornet shooting great and am only about a month from getting the Bee going. While it never caught on like the Model 70 or Model 94, the Winchester Model 43 is a great rifle. For Winchester Model 43 rifles the Beger 35gr Varmint, Hornady 35gr V-Max, Nosler 35gr Varmageddon, Sierra 40gr Varminter and the Barnes 30gr Varmint Grenade are your best choices. Bore Condition:The bore is bright and the rifling is sharp. For starters, it is a bit faster, which gives it a longer effective range. I had been thinking that a Model 43 without sight ramp and a Weaver K12 or Unertl Vulture 12 power scope would be quite the package. Do you have a copy of the article that I wrote discussing the Model 43? This scope rates in about Good overall Condition. Rather than going to the expense of building a detachable magazine for a cartridge that would probably not sell a lot of rifles, Greg decided to make Model 82s in that caliber single-shots with a solid-bottom receiver. Give a Gift That could help in sorting it out convincingly. Winchester cases and CCI 400 primers were used in all loads. All Types (13) It ought to be especially good for rabbits past 100 yards where the energy of a .22 Long Rifle begins to fade. Notifications . That rifle is positively not factory original with that stock (as stated by your local gun store). Browning SA-22 Challenge Semiauto Rimfire: Its History and a Review, Kimber Hunter Pro Desolve Blak - A Lightweight Heavy Hitter, Browning BLR Lightweight '81 Stainless Takedown Lever Rifle, Mossberg Patriot Predator 6.5 PRC Rifle Review, Review: Springfield Armory M1A Loaded Rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor, RCBS ChargeMaster Lite Review: Not 'Lite' on Ability, Remington Model Seven SS HS Bolt-Action Rifle Review. It was the last cartridge to be added to the Model 43 line. Scott Rupp gets a chance to talk to Aaron Oelger about a few new products from Hodgdon and why reloading store shelves are empty. I havent seen any other pictures of 43s with a stock like this. Classic bolt action varmint rifle in .218 Bee. Winchester 43 .218 Bee caliber rifle. Holding second place in accuracy among various .218 Bees I have shot through the years is a Model 82 built during the 1980s by the original Kimber of Oregon. Throughout the six years of production, the Winchester Model 43 underwent five design changes. Sold For: $1,010. Serial number 19257A was manufactured in February 1950. A few things that may be of use to others that Ive learned the hard way: The rear action screw pitch is something like .200-36. Price is $900 shipped for the setup. SERIAL NUMBER 20669A WANT TO PURCHASE CALL SHOP 716-941-3946 .Click for more info. AB836 Make: Winchester Model: 43 Serial # - Firearms: 49085A Caliber: .218BEE Low Estimate: 100 High Estimate: 250 Very good condition. The bolt handle was changed from a straight design to a swept-back one. -Premium quality mag made in the USA. If it is an issue I would think that soft solder would probably be sufficient. | When it comes to choosing powders for .218 Bee handloads, IMR-4227 has long been a popular choice, and H4227 works equally well. But do you know how to properly use them? The Model 43 was a nice little rifle and often described as the poor man's Model 70, but those I owned in .22 Hornet and .218 Bee years ago were nowhere near as accurate as my Winchester models 54 and 70 in .22 Hornet. Back in the 1930s Marlin offered it in its Model 90, an over-under combination gun with one barrel in .410 and the other in .218 Bee. Joseph Von Benedikt shows his custom 500 and how well it shoots. Gun has the factory knurled steel butt plate. The 218 Bee was introduced by Winchester in 1938 for the model 65 lever action and later for the model 43 bolt action rifle.. Introduced in 1930, the 22 Hornet was an immediate success and is still widely used across the globe. Fired in that rifle, the velocity of Winchester ammo was 2,866 fps and the Remington ammo clocked 2,831 fps. Attempting to neck it down in one step usually results in a collapsed case. Excellent bore. Joseph Von Benedikt is with Jorge Spat to learn all about it. Close Menu. Winchester Model 43. Research and reaching out to someone who has done a great deal of research on the Model 43 confirmed that they were available in 22 Hornet and 218 Bee with no factory sights or ramp as an option up until the 1951 model year. The Winchester Model 43 was drilled and tapped from the factory. Winchester has a long history of developing centerfire cartridges designed for bumping off varmints and for harvesting edible small game. A friend tipped me off to a pristine barrel and as it stands all that remains to be done on that one is to finish the stock. Serial number- 52550A. -5 round single stack mag. Add 100% for Deluxe Model with fancy checkered wood. This rifle is in good condition and comes with one magazine and Weaver style scope bases. 7656 Marlin 1894 Classic. 4.0 out of 5 stars. It was manufactured in 1952. It remains my first choice for those cartridges. Even though the .218 Bee holds a pinch or two more powder, the same propellants work equally well in both. The asking price was in the right ball park for a common garden variety standard grade 43 in 218 Bee and since this rifle was produced at the end of the production run and Winchester would have been trying to use up parts they had on hand, it is likely they would have had a barrel w/o sights available to put a rifle together with. WACA 6571L, Historian & Board of Director Member. . Fortunately, it is pretty easy to determine if a rifle was originally drilled and tapped. Use coupon code KTG10 to get 10% off your order of $150 or more at Brownells. In fact, they arent even in the same class and are so different that it makes you wonder why it got that reputation. Im jealous of that 22 Hornet barrel you have. Copyright 2023 All rights reserved. Back in 1986, the original Kimber of Oregon did a limited run of Model 82 rifles in .218 Bee, and also offered an improved version called the .218 Mashburn Bee. There is no erosion. The magazines are interchangeable in either grade. It was my first rifle. Which will be covered below as well. receiver ring! WINCHESTER MODEL 43 CALIBER 218 BEE WITH WEAVER SCOPE 4 POWER. I dont know if my grandpa knew how obsessed I would become with classic rifles when I was older, but he definitely has a good taste in rifles. MTAR15. Plenty of 24K gold wire, a smooth steel butt plate, and a KillerBee on the grip cap. Gerald, thanks for the feedback, I just updated the image to point out the 45-degree bevel! With an Accu-Fit stock and left hand adjustable bolt, this rifle is a perfect choice for anyone! Bolt action rifle made from 1949-1957 in both Bee stinger stabilizer microhex hunting 6 black br FEATURESbr-Exclusive Countervail Technology delivers 40 less vibrationbr-Micro Diameter for enhanced aiming in windy conditionsbr Bee stinger stabilizer sport hunter extreme 6 black br FEATURESbr-Engineered to help provide superior stabilization while conquering shot-induced vibration resulting in the brultim Bee stinger stabilizer sport hunter extreme kit 10.8 black br FEATURESbr-Engineered to help provide superior stabilization while conquering shot-induced vibrationbr-The individual Bee stinger stabilizer sport hunter extreme kit 8.6 black br FEATURESbr-Engineered to help provide superior stabilization while conquering shot-induced vibration resulting in the b Bee stinger stabilizer sport hunter extreme 8 black br FEATURESbr-Engineered to help provide superior stabilization while conquering shot-induced vibration resulting in the brultim Bee stinger adjustable side bar elite w/rear qd br FEATURESbr-Elite Side Bar bracket allows you the adjustment & versatility you need for any target or hunting applicationbr-Sid Bee stinger stabilizer sport hunter extreme 10 black br FEATURESbr-Engineered to help provide superior stabilization while conquering shot-induced vibration resulting in the brulti Bee stinger adjustable side bar elite w/front & rear qd br FEATURESbr-Elite Side Bar bracket allows you the adjustment & versatility you need for any target or hunting applic Beeman!~!s hollow point pellets are used for hunting and come 500 per tin.brbrType PelletbrCaliber 177 PelletbrStyle Hollow PointbrQuantity 500 Per Tin, Antique (Pre-1899) Rifles - Flintlock Misc, Antique (Pre-1899) Rifles - Matchlock/Wheellock Misc, Century Arms International (CAI) - Rifles, Muzzleloading Modern & Replica Rifles (perc), Winchester Rifles - Modern Bolt/Auto/Single, Winchester Rifles - Pre-1899 Bolt/Single Shot, Century Arms International (CAI) - Pistols, Colt Automatic Pistols (.25, .32, & .380 cal), Colt Single Action Revolvers - Modern (22 Cal. Sell your 218 bee for FREE today on GunsAmerica! I havent been messing around with 43s long enough to find out if theory and practice have a positive correlation yet on this. Also the front and rear sling studs are not included (no idea where they are). However, polishing was one of many manufacturing steps, not the final step. Since the Bee was designed for a rifle with a tubular magazine, Winchester and Remington always loaded it with blunt-nosed bullets, whereas the Hornet was commonly loaded with pointed bullets. Can you assist me in determining the years with the serial numbers? Early company literature described it as powerful enough for use on deer. Learn the difference between revolvers and semi-auto pistols and what makes them different. Im not sure if one of the plungers they have will work, but a plunger would not be hard to make. WINCHESTER MODEL 43 218 BEE RIFLE WITH SCOPE (1951 YEAR MODEL) Return Policy: 3 day inspection and return policy on used guns and accessories. It can also be used in lever actions when single-loaded directly into the chamber. This Winchester started life as a Model 1892 saddle ring carbine in 1908 (serial #450350). Smooth action and weighted just right to be a range gun or field gun. The Winchester Model 43 was manufactured by Winchester Repeating Arms from May 1948 to December 1953. Lastly, the 22 Hornet. The technical storage or access that is used exclusively for statistical purposes. Watrous also states that this model was to be developed as a junior Model 70 designed for smaller varmint-type calibers. Varn, Winchester Model 43, 22 Hornet, DOM 1950, 99% Overtall, Bolt Action, Beautiful Deluxe Checkered Pistol Grip Stock, Adjustable Lyman Rear sight, 43 Hang Tag & manual, Sling Swivels and Hood, excell, Rare Winchest Model 43 - 22 Hornet Drilled & Tapped for Scope 90% Blue - Mint Bore Williams Peep Sight LOP: 13 1/4" Barrel: 24" SN 49893A, Rare Winchester Model 43 218 BEE 95% Blue Mint Bore SN: 42284A, Guns Listing ID: 612919#644A Gun is in excellent working condition. Your email address will not be published. I was looking for a part the other day and said to myself: I havent seen this article before. Kurt is a Gunsmith, Reloader, Hunter, and Outdoorsman. 218 BEE Caliber 5 Rds. 5 product ratings - Winchester Model 43, 218 BEE, 5 RDS by TripleK #693M Made in the USA! Should neck diameter with bullet seated exceed 0.242 inch, its wall will have to be thinned by reaming or, preferably, by outside turning. Rifling looks brand new. Rifle has some field wear, otherwise good condition. Excellent bore. Our Assessment:The .218 Bee is a .224 caliber centerfire rifle cartridge designed for varmint hunting by Winchester in 1938 and was originally chambered in their lever-action rifles. Following graduation, he accepted a job at C. Sharps Arms in Montana, where he worked as a full time stockmaker and gunsmith. PLEASE CALL US AT (478-257-6655) 5 product ratings - 2-Pack Winchester Model 43 218 BEE 5 RDS Magazine Mag Mags Made in the USA! Produced from 1949 to 1957, with about 63,000 sold. Excellent article. But the receiver went through the finishing room very late in production, well after the option of having no front sight ramp had been dropped. If looking to acquire an automated powder-charge dispensing unit to speed up precision reloading, don't judge the RCBS ChargeMaster Lite powder scale and dispenser by its name; the Little Green machine packs a heavy-weight punch with speed and accuracy. When it comes to hunting, there is NOTHING that tops. If it turns out that it is far more likely than not an original sightless Model 43, Im more likely to trade it off to a collector than to turn my kids loose on rockchucks with it. The rear sight was removed (for a scope I assume) and is not included. This means you have the option to read your magazine on most popular phones and tablets. Introduced in 1944, it was also offered in .22 Hornet, .25-20 and .32-20. Not consenting or withdrawing consent, may adversely affect certain features and functions. More rifles in that chambering were sold, but none of them made the cash register ring often enough to remain in production for more than a few years. Only one factory load was offered: a 46-grain hollowpoint at 2,860 fps. Seller: . I bought one during the 1960s, and much later during a visit to the Sako factory I was told that only 50 had been built in that caliber, and I've seen only two in many years of looking at Sako rifles. OVERALL LENGTH 42.25? In pleasant contrast, Hornady comes close to making its 2,750 fps billing in my Marlin and actually exceeds it from my Sako. All Shooting Times subscribers now have digital access to their magazine content. Opens in a new window or tab. As it turned out, only a few Model 92s were chambered for the new cartridge, but it managed to find a permanent home in a variation of the Model 92 called the Model 65. The Winchester Model 43 was available in four calibers; the 22 Hornet, 218 Bee, 25-20 Win, and 32-20 Win. Serial number- 52550A. Scarce factory deluxe .218 Bee! The .218 Bee moved bullets of the same weights along at 2,860 fps. That rifle is positively not factory original with that stock (as stated by your local gun store). If you read the article that I wrote (in the Spring 2016 Collector magazine), it explains the Model 43 production history in better . After acquiring my Marlin 1894CL in 1990, I still had several boxes of ammunition produced by Winchester and Remington sometime during the 1950s. Below are the dates of manufacture according to the serial number. In the absence of factory-loaded ammo or jacketed bullets for handloading, you might do as I do and use a Lyman mold to cast 45-grain bullets from scrap wheelweight metal. That is very interesting to hear about their use on fishing boats, I have never heard that before! *We Never share your email without your permission. Why did the .218 Bee never catch up . Available in different sizes and red dot ready, it'll fit your needs, whatever they are. However, I will only summarize them here. I am especially fond of the 30-grain Berger hollowpoint and the 40-grain BlitzKing, Ballistic Tip and V-Max bullets in this cartridge. Production was limited to 3,500 Grade I rifles and 1,500 of the more expensive High Grade version. Factory drilled for scope. The length on the windage screw varies and you will need to know which one to order it. standard and deluxe grade. . The original barrel is good looking but has a bit of pitting in the bore, if it doesnt shoot as a 218 Ill have it re bored and chambered for 32-20. The Bee was only available in the lever-action Model 65 until Winchester introduced the bolt-action Model 43 in 1949, which was offered in .218 Bee, .22 Hornet, .25-20 Win., and .32-20 Winchester. Send me a list of the serial numbers. Free ground shipping on all US Online Orders over $100! Website by Hudson. Mine does not. Its way easier to find the former than the latter. Even The Winchester Book by George Madis negates even mentioning the existence of the Model 43. Inv#0522143. Not drilled and tapped for scope blocks except for a few late rifles. The .218 was first introduced in 1938 for the Model 65 lever action rifle. Winchester has a long history of developing centerfire cartridges designed for bumping off varmints and for harvesting edible small game. New. Im wondering if the dovetailed barrel stud will remain tight over time if the barrel stud is bedded in a solid bedding compound. Seller Description. Find Winchester Model 43 parts and schematics today with Numrich Gun Parts. Ive seen a few of these carbines locally. Price: $895.00. GI#: 102260137. Please confirm you want to mark all posts read, Model 1894 takedown rifle serial number date versus barrel s, First M1876 .45 Colt conversion I have seen, For JWA--please evaluate my model 75 sporter. interchangeable in either grade. LENGTH OF MAGAZINE - 2.33. Remington eventually stopped loading the .218 Bee, and the velocity rating of Winchester ammo was reduced to 2,760 fps. Simi Valley, CA 93065. Custom Mossberg 500 at the Range and Live Turkey!. Taurus has redesigned this sporting pistol for performance. The .218 Bee, .25-20 Winchester, and .32-20 Winchester were added to the modern version of the lever . Upon receiving at my local gun store they said it is unlikely this is factory and unlike any 43 they had ever seen. The new Sako Finnlight II sports an innovative stock and Cerakote metal paired with the terrific 85 action. So long as you have the base, you are probably golden. For $30 plus parts they will overhaul your sight, or you can order the parts and install them yourself. Introduced in 1944, it was also offered in .22 Hornet, .25-20 and .32-20. I am looking for opinions on this rifle that I recently purchased. ECOM00050823. You are considering a vintage Winchester Model 43 Barrel -- it's chambered for 218 Bee. Weaver K6 optics are clear. Opens in a new window or tab. I am looking for opinions on this rifle that I recently purchased. The stock rates in about Very Good overall condition. To provide the best experiences, we use technologies like cookies to store and/or access device information. Receiver Heat-Treatment Explained, The Brownells BRN-180: A Complete Look Inside and Out, CZ-457 Accuracy: The Most Affordable Way to Accurize Your CZ. The demand of new WINCHESTER MODEL 43 rifle's has risen 4 units over the past 12 months. Close. 218 Bee "Extreme" Custom Ammo. The Smith & Wesson model 36, also known as the Chiefs Special, is one of the most distinctive revolvers to emerge from the 20th century. This change was made sometime around the end of 1949. The Thompson/Center custom shop continues to offer the Bee in the Contender carbine, and as far as I know, that's about the size of it as rifles of current production go. -Mags are new and are brand new in packaging. In those days, it certainly was. Magazine is after-market, but works good. WINCHESTER 43, .218 BEE, 4 RD: ORIGIN - USA. It was the first small-bore, high-velocity cartridge introduced for small game and varmints in the U.S. WINCHESTER MODEL 43 CALIBER 218 BEE. The Marlin Model 90 was the most unusual. Buy a Model 43 deluxe .218 bee, has been drilled and tapped for scope mounts, good bluing, worn bluing at for sale by kk1233 on GunsAmerica.com the best online marketplace for buying and selling semi auto pistols, firearms, accessories, and collectibles : 925727343 It was known for being an excellent small game cartridge out to 150 yards and performs well without damaging too much meat. I havent seen one in years and that was before I became real interested in 43s. Adding a bit more history for Sako rifle fans, the 7x33mm Sako on a lengthened 9mm Luger case was developed specifically for use by Finnish seal hunters, and very few L46 rifles chambered for it left that country. Developed for the mail-order firm Sears, Roebuck and introduced in 1936, it began life as an over-under shotgun in 12 gauge. Introduced in 1933 in .25-20 and .32-20, the Model 65 had a 22-inch barrel and was produced until 1947, with just over 5,700 rifles built. Features include standard markings with a hooded ramp front sight, sporting rear sight, swept bolt handle, and top of receiver drilled and tapped for scope mounts. Collectors Firearms, LLC. By then, claimed velocity of .22 Hornet ammo had been slightly increased to 2,690 fps. I looked it over today and everything seems to be as advertised. Winchester Model 43 .218 Bee Bolt Action Varmint Hunting Rifle With Leupold Scope and Sling. The cartridge was originally chambered in the Winchester Model 65 lever-action rifles, which may have ultimately led to its lack of popularity. The scope is still usable. The A-series Model 43 refers to a change Winchester made to the design in 1950 and is identified by an A suffix added to the serial number. What It Is Not. LENGTH OF MAGAZINE 2.33? $97.00. Lyman has a lot of parts for the 57 series and a lot of them can be used on the 57A. This text alone might be responsible for it getting compared to the Model 70. If ammo and case production should cease, you'll have to neck down .25-20 or .32-20 cases. It also has a very unique dovetail filler blank that a Winchester rep from the 50s told me is a genuine factory filler blank. The only difference between the two was the stock which I will cover below. More difficult to find Winchester model chambered for the .218 Bee cartridge. Please note that we have limited each caliber to 5-Boxes per order. Auction of Israeli Defense Forces, joins David Fortier for an exclusive interview for Shotgun News. It embodied the well-proved principles of the famous smooth, fast Winchester bolt action that adapted it to that highly popular sport known as pest and small game shooting.. Later, in 1938, they necked it down even further to 22-caliber and introduced the 218 Bee. The demand of used WINCHESTER MODEL 43 rifle's has fallen 1 units over the past 12 months. Buy It Now +$3.50 shipping The front one that goes into the barrel lug is IIRC 1/4-24 and originals are very hard to come by. Im impressed that your local gun shop seems to know a thing or two. The .22 Hornet and .218 Bee came first, followed by the .222 Remington around 1952. Like many rifles in .22 Hornet, the majority of those in .218 Bee have barrels with a rifling twist rate of 1:16 inches. Lot number: 148. After his military service, he attended the Colorado School of Trades(CST) in Lakewood, CO for gunsmithing. The Model 65 was chambered in the same cartridges, excluding the 22 Hornet. My grandpa bought both my brother and me Model 43s when we were born. WINCHESTER 43 .218BEE BOLT ACTION RIFLE. It was handed down from my grandfather and Id like to pass it to my son. The 22 Hornet was added to the cartridge list for the Model 43 in November 1948, around serial number 5,500. Along with the change in the location of the serial number, the A suffix was added to note a pretty significant design change, the locking lug. The bullet is based on the ancient .25-20 Winchester case and was introduced by Winchester in 1938 as a follow-up to their .22 Hornet success.