I've been lookin into doing some as well. Can anyone help please? Take the damp cloth and wipe them down as you see fit. Keep prongs on hand that you can use to remove the antlers without burning yourself. Can I replace chin hair with squirrel hide? preventing damage to animal mounts I have not tried the other two things I mention, I just know woodworkers use oxalic . Rub the polish in and apply additional coats until the desired colour richness is achieved. Step Six If youll be hanging your antler shed, you can make a hanger using the same wire. I need to make some chunky antler and bone beads and would very much appreciate any advice you may care to share on the best way to do it. Glad you posted this! They are one of three items that can be obtained by killing and skinning an Elk. Use wood filler to fill in chips or chew marks on the antler. Yes I use it a lot and I do Rinse with Baking Soda to clean it for dyeing it it has worked for me Every Time . To learn how to perform regular maintenance on your deer antlers, keep reading! I'm betting what you do will be a huge improvement and he will be thrilled. Those were some good links, Jajimi, thanks! Wipe away the excess, allowing some of the ivory color to show through. Ask Question Step 4: Cleaning the Eyes Spray some glass cleaner on a paper towel and clean off the eyes. You should wear a simple respirator when working with antlers to avoid breathing excess dust from the cutting and sanding process. This will leave a nice shine and bring a life-like, colorful look back into them. I'd like to keep the post open for other ideas or suggestions. The eyes can be cleaned with a Q-tip moistened with Windex. Antlers grow very quickly - faster than any other kind of bone - up to one inch per day during the summer! Feb 4, 2021 - Invisible Wall Mount for Whitetail Deer Sheds Antler hooks into the mount and hangs on its own No drilling into the antler necessary! TIP Hang your antlers out of the way of sunlight. Best finish for porous antler such as Elk - posted in Pen Turning and Making: I've been experimenting lately with Elk antler. This should remove any debris that may be on the antlers. Dan Schmidt walks you . The only other thing you need to do is wash the antlers well in bleach water. I make anter lamps and use Old English to give the anters a uniform apperance. PACKWOOD, Wash. In the logging town of Packwood, at the base of Mount Rainier, elk are everywhere. The 'soft jaw' vise trick is a great idea so thanks for that. Unsatisfied once again I tossed them aside and after a few days the dyed color began to flake away leaving the a chalky apperance to the bone! 6.For the final polish, turn the leather over, and rub the surface on the grain (smooth) side of the leather. Used V40 (hyrdoen peroxide) from well know beauty supply chain available in most cities. Cz Scorpion Flash Hider, The second time I tried it I used a diluted hyrogen peroxide mix. They are abrasive enough to pick up tissue without requiring too much force. Before I would use any product, I would try a wood polish called "Briwax". But ultimately, they're opportunistic hunters and will eat whatever meat they can get their jaws aroundincluding livestock, of course. Deer antlers are extremely hard and should always be worked with using extreme caution. Enjoy! Allow stain to dry completely. caring for african horns You dont even have to do anything just leave them somewhere to dry and you are finished. OK thanks, I kind of felt like that was what was going on based on my experiences. It dies on its own as the extra oxygen atom bleaches the bone. Interesting info- But I have to admit- when I saw the title the first thought I had is "well THAT won't happen- those suckers are DEAD". 4 comments, Almost every outdoorsman has some type of animal hanging on their wall. A better idea would be to ask your butcher for suitable bones for your dog to gnaw on. a soak in a solution of Baking soda and water will neutralize the peroxide. By Brooke Baitinger. So, it stinks to high heaven and I'm probably going to die if I touch it but the Chinese seem to have it sorted. caring for antlers It may not display this or other websites correctly. I know this is somewhat off the knife subject and I appreciate the fact that you have let me ramble on this. cleaning cape buffalo horns Guys, peroxide is not an acid, it's just an oxidizer. You cannot paste images directly. its not easy at first and would highly recommend practicing on an unwanted set. They bring it home and hang it in their living room, den, or someplace where they can always, bug proofing taxidermy mounts Sunlight bleaches the antlers over time and causes the chalky, deteriorated appearance. I work with varsity scouts, and as part of a Mountain Man activity we are making knives. Here are some photos and results before and after. Use a hacksaw to saw both antlers off where they meet the skull. By Fill the spray bottle with water and a few drops of dish detergent to clean dirt or dust off the antlers, or if you don't have hydrogen peroxide, as soapy water will also remove blood. If you like ivory, you can get a set of stag slabs with minimal barking, and sand them down to remove the barking, then polish them, Ivory like with lots of character, and not that expensive. In there statement on the whitening of the skulls. Mix a small amount of stain with paint thinner to create a color wash. Use a rag to rub the wash over the painted tips, giving them a more natural appearance. All of the antlers should be submerged during boiling. cleaning eyes on mounts You may notice I already have some cracking around my eyes on this particular mount. It's easy! In 36 years, the only change in the grip is a pleasant yellowing in the color. I have never used a finish on stag. It's gentle, but takes a few months to work. If your project focuses on the tips of the antlers, such as a coat hanger, then measure from the very tip of the antler toward the base. Do that about 2 to 3 times. So I googled European Mounts and this what pops up. then may use a little old english if I want to Wipe the antlers down with the damp cloth. Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers. Personally I wouldnt use peroxide on antler sheds because it takes bleaches away the tannins on the antler from where the deer rub their antlers on trees etc. Clean off the antlers by wiping them with a damp rag or sand the antlers by hand using fine, 400-grit sandpaper. Then reapply until the antlers only are at a darkness that you like. No experience. Just picked up my black tail mount. trohy care Fact #8: During the annual rut (breeding season), males use antlers to display dominance.Females tend to mate with males that have . Take the cloth and run it under warm water with soap and wring it out. Buff the antlers with a dry cloth until your desired level of shine is achieved. As far as shaping the beads,alot depends on the hole size.For drilling I would cut two pieces of 10 oz leather and use them as soft jaws for your vise then drill with a drill press or hand drill.If you can find a small enough screw and nut to fit the bead ,you can then chuck the screw in your drill press and hand file/sand the bead to shape, a youth and hunting. women and hunting Antlers image by Charles Kaye from Fotolia.com. Dangers of Insect Infestation in Taxidermy. I've heard of using shoe polish and wood stain, but I'm looking for tips on putting a little color back in them from anyone who has actually done it sucessfully- before and after pics would be cool. It's always nice to get information from someone that has experience. Over time, the antlers can dry out and start to look ragged or worn. Step 3. Step 1: Cleaning the Shed Antlers If the antlers aren't too dirty, you can do this simply by rubbing them with a cloth. Any idea whether the furniture polish would work on feathers? To make an antler lamp, you will need to drill several holes in order to connect the antlers together. What is the best way to start with preservation and 2. Allow the polyurethane to dry for at least 72 hours before handling. taxidermy eyes on Introduction. 3-4 coats, drying between each one, should leave a shiney finish. Touch. It will not leave a glossy finsish but still seal it against moisture and anything that would stain it. In addition to fading, antlers seem to dry out, the suggestion about Olde English may be helpful. Spray some WD-40 on your rag and wipe down the antlers thoroughly. Field care / Transportation taxidermy So now I am really confused. Keep the antlers in a room that is smoke free. Hidden Instinct 40.2K subscribers Subscribe Share 255K views 7 years ago I got this tip from a good friend of mine about 4 years ago while trying to. By signing up you are agreeing to receive emails according to our privacy policy. How to Clean Elk Ivories. Be sure to get into all the cracks. Step 2: Cleaning the Hide. The most popular antlers available in North America are; Deer: Generally lighter in color than elk or reindeer, white or mule deer antlers are harder than other antlers. Fortunately, a little TLC with wood stain can go a long way to restoring the condition of the antlers. Once dry they were not as white at the ones I tried using bleach but they weren't brittle either, unlike the ones soaked in diluted bleach. It is easy to do regular cleanings on antlers when they get dusty and dirty. Chlorine bleach destroys bone (which stag is). Do you think the dye or the peroxide bath caused the resulting chalkyness? can you vaccum taxidermy mounts Maybe the rinse wasn't enough and a soak may have helped. Sand or wipe just enough to take away the chalky feel. However the end would leave a bad taste in your mouth. However, applying the polyurethane is not necessary if you prefer a more natural look. Cut a long piece, 8 or so inches longer than the drop length. Rub the glue around with the finger that has the vinyl glove on it. Not sure how old it is. Hmmmmmmm - Lots to think about LOL! Then i used my dremal tool to cut a slot in the middle of the button. This can be done by boiling the antlers in water for several minutes or using a solvent such as bleach. Bubble Empire Rules, keeping the shine on antlers Kerwin Schetter In other words, work in a well ventilated area and clean up the dust when you're finished otherwise it will linger. What is the best way to clean them to get off the rust? cleaning antlers just be careful. JavaScript is disabled. I do not advise using deer antlers as dog chews. Another product that works great is the Swiffer dusting cloths. wikiHow's Content Management Team carefully monitors the work from our editorial staff to ensure that each article is backed by trusted research and meets our high quality standards. Okay guys, somebody must have cut, drilled and polished antler and bone here. Guess what I am going to go do LOL! a Wild boar and a 67 Elk (and another boar waiting in my freezer). After this, the solution will look cloudy. Thanks Kerwin. We empower you to efficiently solve each new challenge and make your life better and easier. Furniture polish or any wood polish also works well for providing a rich colour, especially after applying a stain or polyurethane coat. I would buff polish it, and let it go at that. Using a wingbone call to produce sound like a hen clucking is accomplished by doing almost like a reverse kiss or light sucking motion on the call is what produces that sound. I used this idea with great results until it turned some nice fresh racks yellow, and there is no getting that yellow out. You can clean most antlers with just a wet towel or cloth and a drop of soap. Reply Adresse:Calea Grivitei, 2-2A, 1st District, Bucharest, 2020 FABIZ - Bucharest University of Economic Studies, Master in Entrepreneurship and Business Administration (MEBA), Master en Entrepreneuriat et Gestion des Affaires (MEGA), Master in Entrepreneurship und Betriebswirtschaft (MEBW), Master in Digital Business and Innovation (MDBI), International Master in Business Administration (IMBA), Master of Entrepreneurship and Business Administration in Energy (Energy MBA). The solution will be a deep purple once mixed, but it will stain your antlers brown. Use deer antler to decorate your home. poaching Match up veining and texture with a toothpick. I assembled the calls and once the glue and wrap at the joints was dry I soaked in a mix of rit dye for a more aged look! So to sum this up I have not had any luck with whitening bone with either bleach or peroxide! You fooled me with the title. Any way thebone had a nasty taste, slightly burny taste to it. Furniture polish or any wood polish also works well for providing a rich colour, especially after applying a stain or polyurethane coat. you will have to trial and error your colors til you hit a groove with it. He knows what condition it was in before you took it to clean up. Polish Fill the spray bottle with water and a few drops of dish detergent to clean dirt or dust off the antlers, or if you dont have hydrogen peroxide, as soapy water will also remove blood.