April 12, 2022 / 5:20 AM In September, a judge at the Van Nuys Courthouse West sentenced Ponsetto to 3 years of summary probation after she pleaded no contest for driving under the influence. The entire incident was captured on cell phone and surveillance video. When King pressed her about understanding the harm caused by her extreme reaction to Harrold Jr., Ponsetto defaulted to stating her age and said she didnt understand how she committed a crime. During the filmed encounter, Ponsetto baselessly told hotel staff that the teen, who was staying at the hotel with his family, had her phone. (Screenshot via Keyon Harrold) . Miya Ponsetto, 23, of. According to new data from the U.S. On Tuesday, New York Governor Andrew Cuomo announced his resignation amid a slew of allegations and scandals. A 10-second video from the hotels security footage captured Ponsetto rushing at and encircling her arms around Harrolds son. That phone could have been in hand of 90-year-old grandma, an Asian person someone Black or blue.". 'This is crazy': NYC teen allegedly murdered 'innocent kid Woman has 'loud, full body orgasm' in the middle of LA concert, Meghan Markle's ailing dad says he refuses 'to be buried by her' in 'final ever' interview, $76K NJ boarding school admits falling 'tragically short' in protecting teen who killed self after bullying, 'rapist' taunts, After legal weed, NYC's once-wild 4/20 party just another boring street fair, How a retired detective snared his seventh 'Torso Killer' confession, F1 driver Fernando Alonso continues to add fuel to Taylor Swift rumors, BDSY star Daisy Kelliher tells drunk Gary King to stop flirting with me, Rihannas iconic Met Gala looks through the years, NY Post Sports Reporter Zach Braziller breaks down the Knicks game 1 loss to the Heat, Kim Kardashian seemingly shades Kourtney's wedding in now-deleted caption. I was trying to do my best to assist her but she wasnt having any of it, Ghatan told The Washington Post. Attacking him how? Chris Simba, one of the teens present, recounts being surrounded by police cruisers, having guns drawn and pointed at him, and watching police take his friends to the ground before handcuffing them. Internal documents filed in court on Monday revealed how staffers at New York City's Arlo SoHo hotel responded to a viral incident in which a white guest wrongly confronted a Black patron about a missing cell phone. You may have seen the recent story about 22-year-old Miya Ponsetto falsely accusing a 14-year-old Black boy, Keyon Harrold Jr., of stealing her phone in the lobby of New York's Arlo Hotel. Yeah, I'm 22, I've lived probably just the same amount of life, like honestly, I'm just as much a kid at heart as he is.". Sitting beside Ponsetto, attorney Sharen H. Ghatan whispered for her client to stop, but it was too late. Art gallery wants judge to disclose location of art worth Woman has 'loud, full body orgasm' in the middle of LA concert, Biden son arrives for baby mama showdown, lawyer says he's already paid $750K support, Meghan Markle's ailing dad in 'final ever' interview: 'I refuse to be buried by her', After legal weed, NYC's once-wild 4/20 party just another boring street fair, How a retired detective snared his seventh 'Torso Killer' confession, Ralph Fiennes brother witnesses womans full body orgasm during LA Philharmonic show, Author Judy Blume stands up to book bans, promotes freedom to read, Rihanna has secret 3 a.m Met Gala fitting for $25 million in Cartier jewels, NY Post Sports Reporter Zach Braziller breaks down the Knicks game 1 loss to the Heat, Perez Hilton: 'Boring' Meghan and Harry need to 'give up and move' back to UK. And although Ponsetto was arrested on Friday in Los Angeles on a fugitive warrant and charged in Manhattan with two counts of attempted assault, attempted robbery, grand larceny, and endangering. Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting. It was that shushing motion that did her in, wrote one Twitter user who garnered numerous reactions. This story has been shared 466,042 times. She is an alum of Simi Valley High School, California, where she graduated in 2016. What is the deeper story here? Ponsetto asked. The witness says she tried seeing if they needed help, but Miya got back in the car and demanded her mom do the same at which point, the witness says they recklessly drove off. For an optimal experience visit our site on another browser. The physical and emotional risk posed to Black people by false allegations is immense. She wasnt able to restrain herself, Ghatan said, and she was less than respectful with King. He sustained injuries, and as community activist Rocky Coward told a reporter, the incident was "indicative of the meagre-minded, thug, bandit-type treatment that specifically young Black people have been subjected to over the past 40 or 50 years.". Enough, Ponsetto said, indignantly waving her hand at the camera. More than 100,000 people signed an online petition posted by Crump, who called for Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance Jr. to bring assault and battery charges against Ponsetto. Ponsetto was, however, able to avert jail time and was let go with a two-year probation. She tackled a teen over a lost phone. Miya Ponsetto was charged with a hate crime for assaulting and falsely accusing a 14-year-old African American boy of stealing her phone back in 2020. He was made to feel like a criminal, asking his folks, Why me?. The prosecutor, Cyrus R. Vance Jr., announced Saturday that she was charged with third-degree attempted robbery, endangering a childs welfare, fourth-degree attempted grand larceny and two counts of third-degree attempted assault. In addition, Nicole was charged with battery under a section of the California Penal Code that covers incidents involving a peace officer or another public-safety worker. Nevertheless, a theft did occur at the Arlo Hotel that day the theft of Black childhood. Her Facebook and Twitter profiles were not discovered. The California resident was able to avoid prison as the terms of her plea allowed her to enter a fresh appeal to a lesser charge if she adheres to the terms of the plea and her probation is completed for her previous case of driving under the influence of alcohol. Before her arrest, more than 100,000 people signed a petition calling for Ponsetto to be taken into custody. Miya has not grasped the severity of her circumstances. I consider myself to be super sweet, I really never ever meant for it to like hurt him or his father either.". Is Brittney Griner Trans, A Man or Woman? Ponsetto, who Ghatan said has family roots in Puerto Rico, was in a very fragile state, according to Ghatan. Miya Ponsetto (Born: 1999; Age: 24 years old) is a Puerto Rican-American woman born to Eric and Nicole Ponsetto. Your email address will not be published. When search suggestions are available use up and down arrows to review and enter to select. Outside the courtroom on Monday, Ponsetto appeared a lot more subdued, sitting hunched over on a bench as she made calls, her long black hair hanging over like a curtain. At a press conference last Wednesday, Harrold, accompanied by Crump and Rev. Ponsetto didnt speak during the hearing, where Justice Laura Ward set a Jan. 10 trial date. SOHO Karen decided to one up her own ridiculous public display by going on record wit. Lets check, How Richis Miya Ponsettoin2020 -2021? / KCAL News. Bidens misleading deficit claim earns him a Bottomless Pinocchio, Fact-checking Trumps reaction to Bidens reelection announcement. "Sadly these poor Harrolds had to deal with the aftermath.. 'Gang Members [are] Killing People Right Now!!!'. Unsurprisingly, Miya Ponsettos boyfriend remained hidden during the 2021 chaos. Miya Ponsetto the woman dubbed Soho Karen after she falsely accused a black teenager of swiping her cellphone at a Manhattan hotel told The Post on Monday that she regrets her non-apology to the boy and his family last year. Ghatan represented Ponsetto before the New York incident and is not licensed in that state. Miya Ponsetto, the California woman who wrongly accused a Black teenager of stealing her cellphone in New York City, has pleaded guilty to a hate crime charge, NBC News reports. Black childhood is considered innately inferior, dangerous and indistinguishable from Black adulthood. Her mothers name is Nicole Ponsetto, while her fathers identity has been revealed to be Eric Ponsetto, even though he prefers to distance himself from Miya. Ponsetto grabbed headlines after she was caught on video accusing Keyon Harrold Jr., 15 the son of jazz trumpeter Keyon Harrold of stealing her iPhone and then trying to tackle him in the lobby of the Arlo Soho Hotel on Dec. 26, 2020. On February 28, 2020, she and her mother Nicole Claudine Ponsetto appeared intoxicated and refused to leave The Peninsula Beverly Hills, a 5-star hotel on South Santa Monica Boulevard in Beverly Hills, California. Al Sharpton, spoke publicly about the incident. Fun facts: before fame, family life, popularity rankings, and more. Paul D'Emilia, an attorney representing Ponsetto in her criminal case, told CBS News that . Yelling at him? The FDA Has Officially Approved Pfizers COVID Vaccine. Miya Ponsetto is a tall woman, standing at 4 feet 3 inches (129 lbs) and weighing approximately 40 kg (88 lbs). Who Are Wynonna Judds Children and How Many Are they? She later added: Im sincerely sorry to the family and the dad and the son for making them feel as if I was racist towards them when that is not my intention.. Miya Ponsettos appearance, in a Daddy baseball cap, went viral online and was an embarrassing mistake, her lawyer said. Cops Shouldve Kept Susana Morales Safe. Miyas father did not appear to be particularly involved in the matter. The Harrold family said Ponsettos apology was not good enough, noting they thought it insincere. pic.twitter.com/5QshumCwYk, Gayle after placing the call: pic.twitter.com/89gAZA1Lxe, Gayle wasn't taking that "shush" lightly. She initially pleaded not guilty to the hate crime but later pleaded guilty to one count of second-degree unlawful imprisonment. Miya Ponsetto was still serving her probation term when she landed herself in court again for assaulting a teenager over the loss of her phone. Additionally, her Etsy account had 42 followers and her Pinterest account had four. Where is the context in that? Full name: Miya Ponsetto Nickname: SoHo Karen Gender: Female Date of birth: 1999 Miya Ponsetto's Age: 24 years old Ethnicity: Puerto Rican Nationality: Puerto Rican-American Marital Status: single Miya Ponsetto's Parents: Eric Ponsetto (father), Nicole Ponsetto (mother) Siblings: One brother Troylena Dixon posted this video taken by her son who was arrested outside the Bedford, N.S., shopping mall on Feb. 21, 2020. Miya allegedly scratched Keyon Sr.s hand during her attempt to snatch his cell phone. I apologize. She recently entered a plea deal and. Im a 22-year-old girl, racism, how is one girl accusing a guy about a phone a crime? I feel sorry that I made the family go through, like, all of that stress. Miya Ponsetto, 23, was at the Arlo Hotel in December 2020 when she got into a confrontation with a teen, 14-year-old Keyon Harrold Jr., about a cellphone. It had more than 5,000 followers at the time. 2023 NYP Holdings, Inc. All Rights Reserved, College pays $36M to family owned business it falsely accused of racism, Video showing white Milwaukee man grabbing black man by throat sparks outrage, How Oberlins slander put our family through hell, Walmart ordered to pay man $4.4 Million for racial profiling. Miya was also ordered to enroll in a nine-month alcohol and drug education and counseling program and is due in court on Jan. 14 for a proof of completion hearing. She was also arrested on May 28 for driving under the influence in Van Nuys, California, court documents show. Whether at the hands of police or private citizens, there are numerous examples of Black children being construed as threatening. Previously in 2020, she was arrested twice first on February 28 alongside her mother for public intoxication at a Beverly Hills hotel, and again on September 1 for DUI (driving while her license). A Ventura County woman who falsely accused a Black teenager of stealing her cell phone at a New York City hotel in December of 2020 reached a plea deal that will see her avoid jail time. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. A post shared by Keyon Harrold (@keyonharrold), "The episode was yet another instance of African Americans being harmed by baseless accusations while going about their daily life," said the lawsuit. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); document.getElementById( "ak_js_2" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Thanks for contacting us. As We Mourn The Death Of Lauren Smith-Fields, Where Is The Justic How Republicans & Democrats Weaponize Latinx Trauma to Get Votes. Miya Ponsetto, 22, is in the middle of court proceedings over a Dec. 26 incident where she falsely accused Keyon Harrold Jr ., the 15-year-old son of jazz trumpeter Keyon Harrold, of stealing. These unfortunate events managed to break through and receive national news coverage where so many others do not. never mentioned the 14-year-old victim was Black. Amy Cooper, dubbed Central Park Karen, called the police. We are not interested in what she has to say, in her feigning remorse, and we certainly will not provide her a public platform and audience to do as much., Amy Cooper called the police on Christian Cooper on May 25 after he asked her to leash her dog in Manhattan's Central Park. Police in New York City said Harrold sustained scratches to his hand. No other injuries were reported. She added, I dont feel like this one mistake does define me, but I do sincerely from the bottom of my heart apologize that if I made the son feel as if I assaulted him or if I hurt his feelings or the fathers feelings., The 22-year-old woman caught on camera allegedly physically attacking a 14-year-old Black teen and falsely accusing him of stealing her phone was arrested in California.In an exclusive interview, Miya Ponsetto and her lawyer spoke with @GayleKing hours before she was arrested. In an exclusive interview,. Regarding her arrest history, you may be surprised to learn that the 2021 assault incident was not Miyas first arrest. We publish narratives intentionally and specifically to enlighten and transform the world. ", The presumption of guilt is evident in the hotel management's request to see Keyon Jr.'s phone. The hotel; the company that owns it, Quadrum Global; and the manager also got a slice of the cake. Cops say they eventually were able to get a reading on her blood alcohol level -- .14, nearly twice the legal limit. She is expressly disregarding advice and has gone rogue, Ghatan said. Our energy right now is directed at the healing of our son, and in bringing attention to the larger societal issues that led to the disgusting physical and verbal attack that continues to traumatize our family., My full statement on Miya Ponsetto, whose act of racism was enabled by the staff of the Arlo Hotel, which threw gasoline on the fire instead of stopping a racist attack on their own guests. First published on April 12, 2022 / 5:20 AM. Miya will be dealt with by law enforcement, and hopefully be charged with the assault of our child. The interaction amused many on social media who joked that King was likely the one who alerted authorities to Ponsettos location. Others joked that Ponsettos own attorney may have beaten King to the punch. Get TMZ breaking news sent right to your browser! On January 7, 2021, Miya Ponsetto aka SoHo Karen was arrested and charged with four felonies: attempted robbery, endangering a child's welfare, attempted grand larceny, and attempted assault. Miya Ponsetto, 22, was arraigned in New York State Supreme Court via video call on Wednesday and pleaded not guilty to two counts of second-degree unlawful imprisonment as a hate crime, one count of endangering the welfare of a child, and one count of second-degree aggravated harassment. She lost her mind for a hot minute. Miya Ponsetto the woman dubbed "Soho Karen" after she falsely accused a black teenager of swiping her cellphone at a Manhattan hotel told The Post on Monday that she regrets her non-apology. Miya Ponsetto's October DUI (the second such arrest in 4 months) was filmed by bystanders and yes, it's about as wild as we've come to expect, ending with this rant to cops: "There are gang members killing people right now and you're arresting a girl?". Interesting Facts About Danny Glovers Daughter, Who Is Dewayne Turrentine? IE 11 is not supported. As Canadians, we cannot be so smug or naive as to believe that what we saw in that video was unique to our neighbour to the south. ", On December 26, Keyon Harrold Sr., the victim's father and a Grammy Award-winning trumpeter, shared a video of. Closed Captioning and Described Video is available for many CBC shows offered on CBC Gem. Wearing a hat with the word Daddy emblazoned across it, Ponsetto said she approached anyone she thought might be guilty of stealing her phone. Remember, this is Miya's second arrest -- she was hit with the first DUI in Malibu (where she was also allegedly combative) back in May and pled no contest, so she was on probation. In Ponsetto's now-viral Jan. 8 interview with CBS This Morning, Ponsetto says: "So basically, I'm a 22-year-old girl how is one girl accusing a guy about a phone a crime? His parents and their lawyer, Ben Crump, were hoping that issue would be front and center. White woman terminated from job after calling police on Black birdwatcher who asked her to leash her dog, company says. In it, Ponsetto is seen demanding the teen's phone, claiming he stole it. In 2021, she was residing in California; this may have been her hometown. Miya Ponsetto: her birthday, what she did before fame, her family life, fun trivia facts, popularity rankings, and more. As the story goes, Miya attacked the teenager and his father in the hotel lobby when she discovered her phone was missing. Getting arrested and charged with DUI could be enough for her to do jail time not to mention her NYC case. Her mother, Nicole Ponsetto, pleaded no contest to battery on a police officer and public intoxication in the same incident. Miya Ponsetto who was caught on camera allegedly attacking 14-year-old Keyon Harrold Jr. at the Arlo Hotel on the day after Christmas was charged with public intoxication on Feb. 28, according to the online docket for the Los Angeles Airport Courthouse. TMZ has obtained video of Miya's arrest Oct. 3 in Ventura County -- for which she was charged with DUI, resisting arrest and obstructing/delaying a peace officer or EMT -- and the accusations against her seem pretty solid because she was absolutely out of control. Likewise, her most recent career pursuits are not known, although she may still be in college at the time she went viral for a crime she committed against a Black American teenager. The parents of a 14-year-old, who was falsely accused of taking Miya Ponsetto's phone and then physically attacked by her, sit down with "CBS This Morning" c. Last February, a 15-year-old boy in Halifax was also tackled to the ground by police after objecting to being questioned on the sidewalk. woman who lunged at and tackled Keyon Harrold Jr. In the video that went viral, Ponsetto can be seen pushing and grabbing both Keyon and his father in an attempt to snatch his phone, which she thought was hers. Miya Ponsettos parents were also caught up in the assault situation and had to deal with the media and the police. I was forced to cancel national interviews due to my concern of her wellbeing and lack of understanding of the process. A hearing for the charges related to the Beverly Hills incident was scheduled for later this month, Ghatan said. She can be heard in the footage shouting, Im not letting him walk away with my phone!. Video shows her grabbing at him as he . Widely known as SoHo Karen, Ponsetto, 22, was arrested on Thursday, Jan. 7, by the NYPD and Ventura County Sheriffs Office in California. His childhood and, with it, his innocence and vulnerability are stripped away. King said the remainder of Ponsettos interview with her will be aired Monday, Jan. 11. Ghatan told TMZ on Thursday that Ponsetto has refused to heed her advice. Miya became famous in December 2020 after going viral for committing a hate crime against a 14-year-old African-American male. The incident left the young Keyon traumatized, and his parents had to find him a therapist. 2023 EHM PRODUCTIONS,INC. Miya Ponsetto also known as SoHo Karen, or that one girl who wore a "Daddy" hat while talking to Gayle King is now facing a lawsuit for racially profiling and attacking 14-year-old Keyon . However, it was unknown whether Miya was dating or was single at the time. For Black youth, this theft of their childhood can leave long-lasting impacts. Ponsetto was thrown into the national spotlight when Harrold posted a minute-long video of the altercation on Instagram late last year sparking outrage from social media users who accused Ponsetto of racially discriminating against Harrold and his son. When Beverly Hills Police Department officers arrived, her mother pushed and kicked one of the officers. She said that while she spoke with Ponsettos mother beforehand, her client could not be reached before she arrived for the interview and was not prepared. But at the same time, it wasnt just them going through that, Ponsetto told the host. As expected, the family sought justice for their son, and while Miya may not be going to jail, she pleaded guilty to the hate crime. We've received your submission. It wasn't Ponsetto's phone, she'd left hers in an Uber and the driver later returned it to the hotel. By subscribing, I agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use, 2023 EHM PRODUCTIONS,INC. One mon, In a 6-3 opinion, the United States Supreme Court has overturned federal protection for abortion. "I would ask her why would she do something like this to a kid who has never met you at all and I would just ask just why," he said. The White House claimed not. What began as an accusation against a 14-year-old black girl for stealing her phone has turned on Miya. (Video: Christian Cooper), Comparisons of claims against the evidence. They were released without charges. According to Harrold Sr., Keyon Jr. is traumatized by the experience. When the interview ended, Ponsetto left the set. WATCH: The parents of the 14-year-old who was allegedly attacked by Miya Ponsetto & wrongly accused of stealing her phone, are speaking out to @GayleKing. The video also shows the hotel manager, who was supposedly trying to help but was, in fact, trying to confront the teenager about the missing phone. Criminal Birthday May 27, 1998. Explain How Gayle King Is Going to Help?: CNN Employees Are Reportedly Furious Over Gayle Kings Expected $12 Million Salary After Being Told Theres No Money at the Network, CNN Reportedly Considering Odd Couple Gayle King and Charles Barkley to Turn Around Prime-Time Ratings, Social Media Says the Marriage Wont Work, Gayles Swimming For Her Life Thinking Oprah is Capturing It: Fans Are In Stitches as Oprah Winfrey and Gayle King Explore the Dead Sea In Different Ways. There are reports that she once worked at Richard Milles watchmaking company in Beverly Hills, California as a receptionist. Miya is also expected to undergo counselling and avoid further run-ins with the law for at least two years. I want my son to grow up whole, Harrold said. On February 28, 2020, mother and child were involved in a public altercation at a hotel in Beverly Hills with another person. It is a priority for CBC to create products that are accessible to all in Canada including people with visual, hearing, motor and cognitive challenges. While the upcoming ruling was expected, its only the b, Less than two weeks after the mass shooting at a supermarket in Buffalo, New York, which targeted Black patrons, another senseless massacre in Texas claime, Unimaginable. For a segment on CBS This Morning, Gayle King sat down with the aggressor of one of the latest of such videos: 22-year-old Miya Ponsetto, who has since become known as "SoHo Karen." On December 26, 2020, Ponsetto falsely accused Keyon Harrold Jr., a 14-year-old Black teenager, of stealing her phone in the lobby of Manhattan's Arlo Hotel, CBS . It's interesting the New York D.A. Ponsettos attorney explained to the court that he was awaiting a progress report from her therapist, as well as a possible diagnosis for his client. His parents said that he is currently working through feelings of sadness and confusion in therapy. When she sat in that chair, and she said Im not going to remove the Daddy hat, she was set to do what she wanted to do.. Regrettably, we were unable to locate any jobs she took on. Before the video cuts out, Ponsetto can be seen approaching Harrold, prompting the jazz musician to shout: Get your hands off!. Things took a life of their own, Ghatan said. The incident is the latest case of alleged racial profiling to go viral after a summer of anti-racism protests. Of course, Miya's now on the East Coast, where she faces a slew of charges for attacking Keyon Harrold's 14-year-old son and accusing him of stealing her phone. She was detained Thursday by deputies with a warrant from the New York Police Department. Keyons father and his mother, Kat Rodriguez, also played a massive role in helping him recover from the racial profiling incident. Miya was also busted on May 28 and charged with four counts, including driving under the influence of alcohol and driving with a suspended or revoked license. On Dec. 27, 2020, Ottawa Police stopped five Black teens who had gathered in the parking lot of a mall to discuss plans to film a music video for a local artist. Ponsettohas also been suedby the Harrold family over the incident. Under her plea deal, she will serve two-years of probation, CBS News reports. Ponsetto was arrested by Ventura County Police on a fugitive warrant on Thursday in Piru, California, with police saying she refused to get out of the car during a traffic stop until deputies. That's what they're claiming? "I admit yes, I could have approached the situation differently, or maybe not yelled at him like that and made him feel, some sort of, inferior way, making him feel as if I was like, hurting his feelings because that's not my intention.