Call to Worship Hosanna! 1 John 3:21-22*, Other Prayers of Requests and Their Introductionsto Consider Using, 8I keep my eyes always on the LORD. On this Palm Sunday, we proclaim Christ reigns even in the face of death. Pray these with one leader, as a call and response, or as a congregation. But the gift is not like the trespass. The preacher, of course, has the freedom to select which theme the sermon settles in. Reposted: https://re-worship.blogspot.com/2012/02/palm-sunday-sending-out.html. Revised Common Lectionary: Passion Sunday . God gave us our time. We do not and cannot believe that in a few days we will be among those who will turn our backs and run from his presence. Give up my cup of coffee in the morning to feed an orphan! Do not be afraid or discouraged. 1 Chronicles 22:13bc *, in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight. proclaiming your love in the morning and your faithfulness at night, Let us come before him with thanksgiving and extol him with music and song. . 2 Chronicles 32:7-8a*, 28Because the hand of the LORD my God was on me, I took courage . 16They rejoice in your name all day long; they celebrate your righteousness. He came to bring us Peace. So, too, are prayers for illumination, which are prayers for understanding as one reads the Bible, hears the Word, and prepares for the week ahead. . We shall triumph over those who surround us and stand in confidence in the Lord, our God! And the Holy Spirit of God Who Inspired the Bibles Writers. Nehemiah 9:17c*, 11We believe it is through the grace of our Lord Jesus that we are saved . However, we continue to have leadership offices, meeting rooms, and The Upper Room Chapel at 1908 Grand Avenue, in Nashville. This year, as we gather to celebrate this significant event, let's uplift our voices in worship together with songs that celebrate this special day. Alexis Carter, Lenten Liturgical Resources from Africana Writers, edited by Safiya Fosua, 2020. James 1:12, 10Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up. Be exalted, O God, above the heavens; let your glory be over all the earth. For information about our privacy practices, please read our Privacy Policy page. Prayer is our lifeline to the One True God, the Father in heaven. Here a dinner was given in Jesus honor. Staff is centered in Nashville, Tennessee, but we also have staff at locations across the United States. We look to you, Father, to guide us out of our fear and remind us of our Savior. People: Be gracious to us, O Lord. How many of us wouldnt continue on if we knew the worst possible ending was inevitable. Psalm 138:1-2. Written by Ann Siddall and posted on the Stillpoint Spirituality Centre website, https://stillpointsa.org.au. Let us apply this incredible truth to our lives. the Reposted: https://re-worship.blogspot.com/2012/02/palm-sunday-sending-out.html. Rejoice greatly, O daughter of Zion! . Save us! Psalm 92:1-2, 4, 1Come, let us sing for joy to the LORD; let us shout aloud to the Rock of our salvation. Many people spread their cloaks on the road, while others spread branches they had cut in the fields. Palm Sunday Call to Worship, Prayer Palm Sunday Opening Prayer Palm Sunday Opening Prayer: You Rode On Palm Sunday Prayer: Adoration & Confession Palm Sunday Prayer: At the Gates of the City Palm Sunday Prayer: Blessed is the King! As they approached Jerusalem and came to Bethphage on the Mount of Olives, Jesus sent two disciples, saying to them, Go to the village ahead of you, and at once you will find a donkey tied there, with her colt by her. Fifth Sunday of Easter, Year A, A Living Hope he will come to save you. Isaiah 35:4*, [T]hose who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted. Matthew 23:12*, [A]ll those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted. Luke 14:11*, [A]ll those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted. Luke 18:14b*, Other Affirmations, Encouragements, and Promises, Shout and be glad . Those who went ahead and those who followed shouted, Hosanna! Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord!, Blessed is the coming kingdom of our father David! Hosanna in the highest heaven! Mark 11:1-2, 7-10. I will declare that your love stands firm forever, that you have established your faithfulness in heaven itself. Psalm 145:17, 10The LORD will lay bare his holy arm in the sight of all the nations, and all the ends of the earth will see the salvation of our God. 9Have I not commanded you? humble and riding on a donkey, on a colt, the foal of a donkey. All: We declare that Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of God the Father.Praise be unto God! Be strong and courageous. This portion of the psalm was probably used by the worship leader as they entered the temple. AMEN. 4For great is your love, higher than the heavens; your faithfulness reaches to the skies. . Absurd! Add to Cart. Sixth Sunday of Easter, Year A, Home Hosanna to the Son of David! 1 Peter 5:5b-6*, 19I know your deeds, your love and faith, your service and perseverance, and that you are now doing more than you did at first. Revelation 2:19, Other Prayers of Dedication and TheirIntroductions to Consider Using, 12Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him. To properly prepare the congregation for the glories of Easter, the worship leaders must help the congregation walk through the valley of shadows here in this service. Isaiah 40:9-11, 5 Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: 6 Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, 7 but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. Please note: If you use material from this blog, please be careful to credit the original author and source. Written by Thom Shuman and posted on his Lectionary Liturgies blog, http://lectionaryliturgies.blogspot.com/. Our hearts are filled with expectation Blessed is the coming kingdom! Go where he goes and do what he commands. This upbeat and celebratory video is perfect for a call to worship or sermon introduction on Palm Sunday, as we remember Jesus' triumphal entry into Jerusalem. L: On the paths we walk the way can be treacherous, the footing unsure. we cheer you; Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; his steadfast love endures forever. . For the sun rising to start another day, the reminders of Your creation surround us. Revised Common Lectionary: Palm Sunday Psalm 118:1-2, 19-29; Mark 11:1-11 or John 12:12-16. . 8 And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient to deatheven death on a cross! 15Blessed are those who have learned to acclaim you, who walk in the light of your presence, LORD. While there is often time set aside in worship to confess ones sins, prayers of confession for Palm Sunday are specific to that day. We believe Jesus Christ came into the world to save sinners. The opposite could then be represented by a straightforward reading of scripture. Please Consider supporting us by disabling your Ad-Blocker,It helps us in maintaining this website. Galatians 6:18, 23The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit. Introductions to Consider Using, 5Your love, LORD, reaches to the heavens, your faithfulness to the skies. This is the gate of the Lord; the righteous shall enter through it. This can be done in a variety of ways, but most churches employ Bible-based opening statements or prayers with a congregational response. We are your servants; empty us for your use.We are Christs servants and may we be of the same mind. Then pour out your forgiveness in such a way that we are forever transformed. After Jesus had said this, he went on ahead, going up to Jerusalem. And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient to deatheven death on a cross! Psalm 57:9-11, 1We praise you, God, we praise you, for your Name is near; people tell of your wonderful deeds. Psalm 75:1, 3I will praise you, LORD, among the nations; I will sing of you among the peoples. . Prayers and Acclamations of Praise to God, Assurances of Gods Pardon, Declarations of Gods Forgiveness, and Absolutions, Fellowship, Loving One Another, and Passing Gods Peace, Affirmations, Encouragements, and Promises of God. Honor and praise. 7Will the LORD be pleased with thousands of rams, with ten thousand rivers of olive oil? Here we are again. . Sixth Sunday of Easter, Year A, Home Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord! The crowds that went ahead of him and those that followed shouted, Hosanna to the Son of David! Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord! Hosanna in the highest heaven! Matthew 21:1-2, 6-9. 7How priceless is your unfailing love, O God! Theyve heard Jesus speak about God and His love for others. People: We gather to worship the One who is highly exalted and whose name is above every name, Jesus the Christ. We do not like to admit our lukewarm response to you, but neither do we want to be considered fanatics. . . 6Your righteousness is like the highest mountains, your justice like the great deep. Psalm 16:8, 3I will praise you, LORD, among the nations; I will sing of you among the peoples. 17For you are their glory and strength . Nathan has great love for the diversity and inspiration of God's creative nature in worship. God's steadfast love endures forever! Palm Sunday: Prayer of Commitment Palm Sunday Prayer: Downward Journey (commitment) Fifth Sunday of Easter, Year A, A Living Hope Reposted: https://re-worship.blogspot.com/2018/03/call-to-worship-for-palm-sunday.html. Blessed is the One who comes in the name of the Lord! The disciples went and did as Jesus had instructed them. Martha served, while Lazarus was among those reclining at the table with him. receive into the crowded streets of our lives. This is a vision of the way it can be, the way it should be . Our workforce began working from home permanently in 2020. Versions with closed . However, we continue to have leadership offices, meeting rooms, and The Upper Room Chapel at 1908 Grand Avenue, in Nashville. Through the incarnation of the Holy Spirit in every believer, made possible by Jesus death on the cross, our Triune God remains with us! Nathan Decker is the pastor of the South Sussex Charge of the James River District of the Virginia Annual Conference of the United Methodist Church. . Shout aloud, O daughter of Jerusalem! harm. Psalm 86:15, 1Not to us, LORD, not to us but to your name be the glory, because of your love and faithfulness. 45For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many. Mark 10:43b-45 *, 11[A]ll those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted. Luke 14:11 *, 14[A]ll those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted. Luke 18:14b *, 13[S]tand firm in the faith; be courageous; be strong. For I am coming, and I will live among you, declares the LORD. THE SCRIPTURE READING: John 12:12-16. 9As for me, I will declare this forever; I will sing praise to . The following are some of the most common Palm Sunday prayers: Palm Sunday is approaching, and this past year has brought tumultuous times and flashes of fear that none of us has experienced in our lifetimes. So, consider how the whole story can be told, or suggested, or acknowledged on this day. Philemon 25, The grace of the Lord Jesus be with Gods people. A Call to Worship for Palm/Passion Sunday. Jesus His Son, Who Is the Truth of God and the Word of God Call to Worship (Palm Sunday) Honor. Romans 5:15, 17*, 1 Six days before the Passover, Jesus came to Bethany, where Lazarus lived, whom Jesus had raised from the dead. Palm Sunday Call to Worship Scriptures and Readings: 50 God is love bible verses to stir up your heart, 25 Powerful Call to worship scriptures to start a worship service, Pope Urges Youth To Raise Their Voices At Palm Sunday, 22 short opening prayer for worship service, 50 Powerful Opening verse for Sunday service with prayer, 25 powerful calls to worship prayers and declarations, 5 Stories Of Patience in the Bible- examples of Patience in the Bible, 55 Prayer for finances wealth and prosperity with scripture, 18 Prayer points for a memorial day celebration, 10 powerful prayers of thanksgiving to God Almighty, Powerful Prayers Before Test for Exam Success, 7 Reasons God is Greater than the highs and lows of Life, Monday Morning Prayers To Start Your Week, 7 Effective Ways to spend quality time with God. P: Hosanna! Proverbs 20:6, 6God opposes the proud but shows favor to the humble. James 4:6b*, 5All of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, because, God opposes the proud but shows favor to the humble. 1 Peter 5:5b*, 68Praise be to the Lord, . Untie them and bring them to me. 6The disciples went and did as Jesus had instructed them. Hosanna! May our eyes be open to see Him, James 4:10, Thanks be to God for his indescribable gift! People: We gather to worship the One who is highly exalted and whose name is above every name, Jesus the Christ. Gracious God, we confess that we have wasted opportunities to interrupt darkness. 13They took palm branches and went out to meet him, shouting, Hosanna! Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord! Blessed is the king of Israel! John 12:12-13, 9You who bring good news to Zion, go up on a high mountain. . We are, as others have said, Easter people living in a Good Friday world. . Hosanna! We lay these resources at your feet: our hosannas to the one who comes in the name of the Lord. They took palm branches and went out to meet him, shouting, Hosanna! Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord! Blessed is the king of Israel! Jesus found a young donkey and sat on it, as it is written: Do not be afraid, Daughter Zion; see, your king is coming, seated on a donkeys colt., Rejoice greatly, O daughter of Zion! No pain, no suffering, no sickness, no death. Forgiveness, and Absolutions to Consider Using, 5Then the LORD came down in the cloud and stood there with him and proclaimed his name, the LORD. Humble and riding on a donkey, Freely we have received, freely we give. 18If only you had paid attention to my commands, your peace would have been like a river, your well-being like the waves of the sea. Isaiah 48:17-18*, 6With what shall I come before the LORD and bow down before the exalted God? Leader: Your presence demands our participation. Proverbs 3:5-6, 26[W]hoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, 27and whoever wants to be first must be your slave 28just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many. Matthew 20:26b-28 *, 12[T]hose who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted. Matthew 23:12 *, 43[W]hoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, 44and whoever wants to be first must be slave of all. We are freed from the burden of our sin. Amid the powers of this world, Christ comes humbly, riding on a donkey. Praise be to the Lord, . For great is your love, reaching to the heavens; your faithfulness reaches to the skies. He has already walked the most difficult path and died to defeat the death we deserve. All: Peace in heaven, and glory in the highest heaven! Psalm 36:5-7a*, 1Great is the LORD, and most worthy of praise, in the city of our God, his holy mountain. This is a vision of the way it can be, the way it should beShouts of welcome, a joyful procession,a community celebrating together.The same vision is offered to us today:We can welcome Christ into our lives;We can celebrate his transforming power.How swiftly things changed back then,How swiftly we, too, can be distracted.May we hold fast to his vision of goodnessPeace from the practice of justice,equality from the practice of respect.As this week unfolds,We will let ourselves be overtaken by Gods loveWe will pour it back out into the world. A SERVICE OF WORSHIP FOR PASSION/PALM SUNDAY Back to Book of Worship >> This service embodies the sharp contrasts of Holy Week. Hosanna to God, Hosanna in the highest! Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped. Introductions to Consider Using, 7What other nation is so great as to have their gods near them the way the LORD our God is near us whenever we pray to him? 2 Thessalonians 3:5, 21[W]e have confidence before God 22and receive from him anything we ask, because we keep his commands and do what pleases him. The Lord has become our salvation! How swiftly things changed back then, Gathered Up in Jesus Palm/Passion Sunday, Year C - Liturgical Resources. He is Peace. On Palm Sunday, let us gather together in prayer to celebrate our Saviors kingdom and victory! When we are hurting, struggling, or overwhelmed, Father, I pray we can embrace the scene of Palm Sunday, in all of its significance, in order to fuel a hope in us that will drive us on day after day, in peace-filled pursuit of Your purpose for our lives. And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to deatheven death on a cross! For if, by the trespass of the one man, death reigned through that one man, how much more will those who receive Gods abundant provision of grace and of the gift of righteousness reign in life through the one man, Jesus Christ! . A new song to sing. P: Hosanna! Forgive us for giving our attention to smelling the roses for so long that we have lost the ability to prophetically smell the stench of death. Even still, we worry and become anxious daily. You, How priceless is your unfailing love, O God! 2 Thessalonians 3:18, 25The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit. If you're interested in reading the results, visit here: https://pandemicworshipsurvey.blogspot.com/, Here 2Let us come before him with thanksgiving and extol him with music and song. Posted on the Cokesbury website. Though He passionately cried tears of blood, asking that there be any other way, He obediently and peacefully walked to the cross because it was the only way. Amen. Psalm 138:1-2, 1I will sing of the LORDs great love forever; with my mouth I will make your faithfulness known through all generations. . Psalm 95:1-2. God sweeps into our human scene, redeeming all who turn from evil and do good. You want my child, call him into ministry. pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance and gentleness. and Have It Preserved Down through the Centuries Worship Planning 2 Corinthians 9:15, May the Lord direct your hearts into Gods love and Christs perseverance. Here's a Call to Worship for Palm Sunday (Year C) using the words of Psalm 118:1-2, 19-29. Almighty God, now and forever. . The tension this week is between the exuberance of the Palm Sunday parade and the submitting ourselves to the brunt of the Passion of Christs death on a cross. John 12:1-2, 8I desire to do your will, my God; your law is within my heart. Psalm 40:8, Other Introductions to Scripture Readingsto Consider Using, 129Your statutes are wonderful; therefore I obey them. Let Israel say, His love endures forever! and all who fear God say, His love endures forever! Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go. Joshua 1:9, 21March on, my soul; be strong! Judges 5:21b *, 13Be strong and courageous. The best scriptures from the NIV Bible that can be used in a Palm Sunday Worship Service are listed for the 17 different ways that are given below. In the same sacrificial way, let us be willing to take up our crosses daily, and lay down our lives for the people You have placed in them. Remind us, minute by minute, as we navigate difficult days and trying times. In praise and adoration, we raise our palms to you. Fill us with your Holy Spirit that we may live as he did., O Christ, King of Peace, bless us on this day and in this hour when you were welcomed as a king by the people of Jerusalem.. Let Israel say, His love endures forever! and all who fear God say, His love endures forever! Amen. When we gather in the Lords house to worship, it is necessary to focus our minds, our hearts, and our attention on him. Your righteousness is like the highest mountains, your justice like the great deep. . . The palms that are waved at the beginning of the service become the sign of our "letting go" into the sorrow of the events of the week to come. Philippians 3:13b-14 *, 5All of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, because, God opposes the proud but shows favor to the humble. 6Humble yourselves, therefore, under Gods mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. Palm Sunday Call to Worship The story of Jesus' entry into Jerusalem, tells us that after his celebrated arrival. Submissions: I am so grateful to those of you who send me your own material to post! Resources for Passion / Palm Sunday References to additional resources in the Presbyterian Book of Common Worship (BCW) are provided at the right-hand margin. . There is grace, mercy, and renewed strength for all who earnestly seek the new life Christ brings. We ask you to be patient with us, to help us understand our own guilt. It comes from the, We He eventually came to earth and watched the same sunrise we now see. This can be done in many ways, though often churches use Bible-based opening sentences or prayers with a response from the congregation. Lo, your king comes to you; triumphant and victorious is he, Father, Palm Sunday is a reminder of the unexpected, yet fully anticipated, King of Kings. Jesus death and resurrection were triumphant! Hosanna to God, Hosanna in the highest! James 4:10, 1Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; his love endures forever. God gave us our resources. In the Entrance with the Palms we experience the joyous demonstration of loyalty to Jesus as he enters Jerusalem, including festive Palm Sunday music. Proverbs 20:6, God opposes the proud but shows favor to the humble. James 4:6b*, All of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, because, God opposes the proud but shows favor to the humble. 1 Peter 5:5b*. CALL TO WORSHIP for PALM SUNDAY By: Bishop Jeffrey N. Leath Based on Psalm 118 LEADER: "This is the day that the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it." RESPONSE: We give thanks for the goodness and love of God! Psalm 119:129, I obey your statutes, for I love them greatly. Call to Worship Give thanks to God for God is good; God's steadfast love endures forever! Romans 16:20b *, The grace of the Lord Jesus be with you. 3Give thanks to the Lord of lords: His love endures forever. . Give up ten minutes of my 24 hours to pray! A Brief Service of Prayer for Palm/Passion Sunday. Philippians 2:5-11, Other Prayers of Adoration and Their Introductions, [Y]ou, Lord, are a compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness. It will be of particular help for those who plan more formal worship. Worship Resources for. . The way He entered the Holy City of Jerusalem on that day, riding a young donkey as a significant sign of Peace and fulfilment of prophecy, did not align with their expectations of a military conqueror. 8And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to deatheven death on a cross! Let there be full-fledged joy as we wave our palms and parade through the aisles maybe into the streets beyond. Rejoice for the Lord is in our midst. 8[W]ith us is the LORD our God to help us . 9 Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name, 10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, 11 and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father. A Traditional Palm Sunday Service Enroll Themes: Christian Year, Palm Sunday, Scholar The following service is a creative adaptation of the traditional pattern and texts for worship on Palm Sunday. humble and riding on a donkey, on a colt, the foal of a donkey. He continued on to accomplish Your will, in Peace, not panic. Shout aloud, O daughter of Jerusalem! You have seen Jesus for yourself. His love endures forever. We walk a tightrope this week, and it is difficult to keep our balance. Fill us with your Holy Spirit that we may live as Jesus did., Lord, we thank you for sending your Son Jesus to earth to be our Savior and Lord. You can unsubscribe at any time by clicking the link in the footer of our emails. . With him at my right hand, I will not be shaken. Hosanna to God, Hosanna in the highest! 2 Thessalonians 3:18, The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit. 5Be exalted, O God, above the heavens; let your glory be over all the earth. Psalm 106:1b*, 1Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; his love endures forever. Last year I was struck by Jesus' words at the triumphal entry in Luke 19:40 that if his disciples kept quiet, the stones would cry out. It comes from the Life in Liturgy website. Rejected by the world, exiled into Babylon, the people chosen by God, to reveal who God is to the world, have returned home and have restored the temple. Absurd! I am the LORD your God, who teaches you what is best for you, who directs you in the way you should go. 9Those who went ahead and those who followed shouted, Hosanna! Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord! 10Blessed is the coming kingdom of our father David! Hosanna in the highest heaven! Mark 11:1-2, 7-10, 28After Jesus had said this, he went on ahead, going up to Jerusalem.