You bought your own grog. Resident band was Sebastian Wood in which I was the keyboard player. From the street in Piccadilly Arcade, Primitif was down two sets of stairs, Prim Junior was down only one. The foyer contains a sculpture by Raymond Hoff and the whole was considered one of the finest Art Deco style funerary spaces in Sydney. They aimed to show the 'surface glitter and underground guts' of the city's inner east, in what historian Judith Dunn said was a time of 'hustle, bustle, excitement and activity' for the Cross. Nightclub in Surry Hills established by the American Red Cross during World War II, exclusively open to those of African or Aboriginal cultural background. Although newly launched, this club has taken no time in being an exceptional addition to Sydney's nightlife. Can anyone remember a night club called the the junk yard in Elizabeth street where the Myers is now. Despite its short lifetime, the venue is crucial to the musical history of Australia. From the Kinolibrary Archive Film collections. Yes corner of Ann and Wharf street. Nightclub in King Street Sydney which operated from 1920 and was a well known venue for drag acts. In these samples the spatial variation of gigs (represented in the Average distance between gigs figure, and in the visual clustering in the maps) declines over time, while the number of performers increases. Through the glass doors (behind that car in the middle there) and down a wide carpeted curving stairway walked thousands upon thousands of people down through the years. Early house/techno. Tivoli (City) It was designed as a covered shopping street, with 80 shopfronts on four floors. DRUMMOYNE ROWERS EARLWOOD PUB EDEN NIGHTCLUB EL GRECO (Dulwich Hill) EMBASSY (Rosebay) ENVY EP1 (Former Tunnel) EQUINOX (Apia Club) ETTAMOGAH BAR (Darling Harbour) EXCHANGE HOTEL (Oxford St) FAME (Ashfield) FANNIES FANTASTIC VOYAGE (Hilton) FANTASY (Maroubra Seals) FLASH BACK (Southern Cross Hotel, Princess Hwy) FLASHEZ (Liverpool) FLINDERS Their website states: The sixties brought the Valley, always a shopping mecca, into the wilder years. Upstairs to Funhouse, venue home-base to Radio Birdman and alumni mid '70's. Nightclub in Sylvania Waters which featured drag shows. Head to Kings Cross, Oxford Street, Surry Hills or Darling Harbour and get ready for a seriously good time. Candys Apartment (Kings Cross) Welcome to The Spot Nightclub- An energetic club that throws Sydney's hottest weekly hip hop parties. One-C-One Folk Club (Princes Hill) Wizards Cauldron at the YMCA Windsor was very popular early 70s. ), but it can be much easier to forget this with quick internet or mobile phone communication instead of expensive and sporadic long distance phone calls, and I suspect that the types of jobs and houses you might find in each city are more similar. Stephanie Weaver, 78, from Littleover, Derby, started collecting soap in the 1970s, but recently decided to sell her collection, which counts more than 2,000 bars. Sydney was at one stage a leading nightlife destination and as such we fostered some of the best musical talent in a plethora of clubs around the city. If you want to party the night away, there's a crop of glamorous nightclubs and darkened dancefloors waiting for you. Scary Canary delivers cheap drinks, foam machines, a huge dance floor and a crowd of international party-goers who aren't fazed its a school night. To order the clip clean and high res or to find out more visit http://www.kinolibrary.com. I remember dancing at the Buzz Bar in 1991 (not just the 1980s) when I first moved to Brisbane for Uni. Thanku Karinda. Post information only relevant to the subject heading. GRAND HOTEL, Broadway near Central Station. Still there, and abbreviated to just The Rose, though I'm sure few who imbibe there now would be aware that it once boasted appearances by The Thought Criminals and alumni. Brilliant Vietnamese restaurant next door. In 968/69 I went to Sebastians in the City, any idea where it was please? In these particular maps the larger symbols represent venues with more individual gigs in the respective time frames, found in either the Rock, Jazz or Folk sections of the relevant publications. Cat and Fiddle (Balmain) He became the public, and to a degree the deceptively benign, face of organised crime. I did stints and residencies at Treasury Hotel, Majestic Hotel, The Criterion, The Embassy, Colmslie Hotel, Court Jester and Whispers. Just behind the delightfully daggy glamour of Darling Harbour is the neon-tinged, two-floor dance arena . The late award-winning. Bars. Nightclub on William St Kings Cross during the 1960s and 1970s. very fast music for 30mins. Sydney Trade Union Club (Surry Hills) It's gone. Prince of Wales (St Kilda), Gigs listed in one week: 511 I note youve only listed Morticias as being at the Hacienda. Needless to say this area became a haven for gurners who would reportedly use it as a picnic ground. That lovely glassy tall building is there now, where one of Sydney's old cinema/theatres once stood. Hellllp! It was the first true Saturday Night Fever style Disco in Brisbane. Strut your stuff to Earth, Wind, and Fire while a hype man shouts encouragement from the stage. Renowned as alleged mob bossJohn Ibrahimsbig foray into the dodgy dealings. It hosts special events from Thursday to Sunday, and can fit 2,500 people across three levels and nine bars. Playing host to iconic crews such as Bang Gangwith theirBang GangPresents series, the electro house being dropped was of an all time calibre. Sandringham Hotel (Newtown) INSANE. we used to see live music 3 nights a week. DRIVING. Hi ! I think the red parrot was a hamburger place in Elizabeth st ?? Be the first one to, podcast_fiftyup-club-podcast_sydneys-nightlife-50s_1000379842237, Advanced embedding details, examples, and help, https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/sydneys-nightlife-in-the-50s-and-60s/id1155464688?i=1000379842237, https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/fiftyup-club-podcast/id1155464688, https://traffic.omny.fm/d/clips/88b564ea-a9a6-4751-910a-a5d800019396/786c8364-39c5-405d-bc45-a66c00116331/0fd84953-e9b0-4e99-b1e2-a6f8009753d1/audio.mp3?utm_source=Podcast&in_playlist=23c878ef-b184-4fd3-b7ca-a66c0011de7d&t=1484126812, Terms of Service (last updated 12/31/2014). This material may be protected by copyright law (Title 17 U.S. Code). No sensible drinking cautions, no smoking bans, and generally less . The suburban shrinkage is the other side of this equation this slunk quietly off stage with no help from gentrification. Carrying a change of clothes, a record and a suitcase distinctive of the era, she may have been a performer who starred in one of the popular midnight shows, Rest, relaxation and perhaps, a little romance: U.S. servicemen made Kings Cross their playground while enjoying time in lieu from the horrors of Vietnam. Tunes were covers of stuff on Five Live Yardbirds (Clapton), early Manfred Mann etc. Darling Harbour. George Freeman was a bookmaker who was involved in organised crime in Sydney during the 70s and 80s. Completely vanished now, Blondie's was a bar above what was Mcdonalds in Bondi Junction. Sylvania Hotel (Sylvania) She spent decades performing with the troupe, who performed in a purpose-built building owned by 'Mr Sin' - Abe Saffron, Welcome to the Paradise Club, I'm your host: Decked out in a tuxedo (and with very fashionable mutton chops), the master of ceremonies at a Kings Cross strip club glances away from the camera. Just found out that rogues international that was in underwood on logan road is now a petbarn store for pets. In addition, a variety of contemporary accounts point to a negative feeling in Sydney live music in the 1990s, depicting the city as a tough place to get a gig or find a friend (Ausmusic 1993; Carroll & Connell 2000; Casimir 1990; Holmes 1993; Homan 2000; Johnson & Homan 2003). I would love to hear from any one who was there or associated with it. Owners: Keith and Dennis Wong. I went to whiskey a go go, the next week it was bombed. The Tote (Collingwood) Charles Baudelaires Les Petites Vieilles, More by Sarah Taylor on Cordite Poetry Review, The iconic Melbourne live music venues we dearly miss from the last 30 years - Beat Magazine. The gig listings have been compiled into an historical Geographic Information System (historical GIS). My apologies for the error. Shirley Beiger. Helen. It was at the top end of Elizabeth Street. The Junction is one of the hottest nightclubs in Sydney hosting live gigs and art exhibitions. The Clefs were the resident band for all this time,and Sunday nights usually hosted no less than 600 and usually 700 people. Because the ceiling was so low we couldnt put in any decent (for 1989 anyway) lighting. Rose Shamrock and Thistle (Rozelle), Gigs listed in one week: 471 he fact it is very different is what draws people to it. Great read. Over the years there has been no decline in the number of performers, or even music venues, in Sydney or Melbourne. What a great list!! p.p.s.One of the most successful clubs from 1976-1982 was the Mayne Sporting Club. Thanks I would like information about 1990:nightclub Crash and Burn.owner,years opened and bands.is Bulldozer.? I loved the Buzz Bar! I also remember a goth / punk niteclub called Hades, that I am pretty certain operated upstairs at the Treasury Hotel. Sign up and we'll keep you updated weekly with fresh new content (no spam, we promise! the DJs there were Lester, Les Smith and Darren AJ. We used to hang out at The Manhattan in the valley almost every night of the week. One of the greatest gigs I've ever been to happened here in late 1977, when Radio Birdman played their "farewell we are off to Britain" final assault. Hi Danny, How much: $20Hot tip: Free entry if you arrive dressed to the weeks theme. It was once the most notorious suburb in the country, but scenes of pimps and prostitutes, raving party-goers and heaving nightclubs in Kings Cross, Sydney, are now a distant memory. Rest and Recuperation. It was pulled down years ago, but for a good period in the mid - late 1970's The Bondi Lifesaver was Sydney's most renowned rock joint. arkiver2 The starting point for discussion is a set of maps and figures derived from gig listings in Melbourne and Sydney in three respective sample years, forming a necessarily brief but novel forest through the trees perspective on long-range change. Your email address will not be published. Nightclub at 83 Anzac Parade Kensington famous in the 1970s for elaborate drag shows. If you wanted a gig there, you auditioned by playing there for one set, early in the night. Basement (Circular Quay), Gigs listed in one week: 469 Restaurant which became one of Sydney's most elaborate and fashionable, open from the 1920s to the 1960s. Please keep the list going and updated, its worth it! Started in late 1968 and continued in 1969. Springfields (Kings Cross) I had the Thurs night gig that remained named as Macs 409 Club using the 4zzz talent agency for bands and did that for about a year in 1984/5 it was my price for introducing the 2 guys. And so we had, in one corner was the band, round the other were these lovely round tables and chairs, there was a seat built in all the way along and a dance floorAnd then you'd go up to the next floor. CHEQUERS: Location: Gouldburn St, Sydney. It was time for a much needed break, so I put in for R & R at Sydney . Thats correct. Bombay Rock (Brunswick) I also vaguely remember alternative markets run in the Druids hall nearby, with the Perfumer Johnathon Smiggley? Meanwhile, the average distance between gigs shrinks considerably: 336m, 189m, 85m. IT. Document draftedby NSW Policeafter the death of Anna Woodin 1995 to ensurethe health and safety of participants at dance parties that was published in 1997. Not a regular nightly or weekly gig, but hirable for those putting something on. hi there, great website, and certainly stirs up somr memories for me. Popular club above Taylor Square onOxford Streetwhich featured drag shows. They had different themes for different nights girls night, boys night, mixed night..and the music was to die for, all cool and funky. Every Wednesday night is Jazz night. 1. The Primitif ran as a coffee lounge from the late 50s, but in about 65 or 66, the management (Peter?) p.s.TCs and Top Cats are one and the same. NOTES: Chequers was one of the top cabaret venues in Australia from the late Fifties until the early 1970s. There was actually a time when rock groups didnt even have demo tapes to shop themselves with, and here's a place that let that happen. A hang for stars, wannabees, groupies, roadies, you name it, the Wifeswapper (man, how corny) was the Ozrock scene alive before your very eyes. CIVIC HOTEL Cnr Pitt and Goulburn Streets, Sydney . Photograph: Murray Fredericks. Further, at each sample, Fitzroy, the CBD, and St Kilda (read: The Esplanade) made up an increasingly large proportion of the live music listings. Clip ref. Best, Patch was actually a friend of Toby who was the manager of The Beat right before John Hannay took it over in the late 80s. How much: FreeHot tip: Security is very strict about closed-toe shoes. Pingback: Bowie in the Pub: How Sydney Music Died - AUSTRALIAN MUSIC MUSEUM PROJECT, Sydney in the 90s was the best. I worked across the road. I remember it was upstairs. Like most serious criminals, he chose to serve his country during World War II on the home front. Atmosphere: Nightlife for Party Freaks and Local Legends. Cant say it could pass as entertainment now. Band/Performer count: 738, Sydney, 1983, most listed venues: the other problem was with The Roxy having bands (i remember Paul Kelly and the Colour Girls playing there) as well as music from Patches leaking into the Roxy and visa versa. 469 Kent St, Sydney NSW, +61 2 9267 7087 Those same backpackers make a beeline to this inner-city Kent St venue on Wednesdays for a club night that's every bit as rowdy as it sounds. At the site of Hogies was originally Tansformers. By the 1950s it was neglected but in the 1970s the arcade was refurbished, and has since been restored after fire damage. It was written up as The Regatta of the alternative scene because it was so crowded. Another monthly suburban gem, this packed disco night in Ashfield includes light-up dancefloor a la Saturday Night Fever with a song selection to match. Categories: 1970s, unknown descriptor (21998). Gee how you did you miss Cloudland off the list. Harbourside Brasserie (Walsh Bay) Addeddate 2019-06-04 08:21:47 Artist Macquarie Media Limited I was the drummer with the dominoes about 1965 or so. Somehow it still remained at the pinnacle of Sydney clubbing institutions until it cited unpaid debt as part of the reason for its close. We get it :)You can support us by sharing this story or following us on Facebook. Love reading those names of clubs. They used to do free tequila throwbacks at the bar on busy nights. I dont think it was particularly Mexican themed, however the tequila throwbacks and the name (which escapes me) I think, was Mexican influenced. created and designed by Sam Fallows, which are all named after circa 1970s James Bond birds. Just reading the names invokes many, many memories for me. Further, of the Sydney venues with the most listings in the 1994 sample, several are fancier and higher-capacity venues, not suited for musicians starting out. Chinese businessman who first arrived as a student in 1938 and who, with his brother, Denis, established a highly successful nightclub business. In May 1933, officers of the German Navy light cruiser DKMKlnvisited the cellar. Timings: Wednesday-Saturday 5:00 PM to 2:00 AM. Bowlers Club of NSW (City) TCs, Uncles, checkers, pips and the last night club at 74 Elizabeth st was Swizzles with turned in to a strip club owner Brian little and manager Johnny Bell.. Hi. A drive by shooting put this place down as one that would eventually come to a close. Kinselas (Taylor Square) Nightclub in Redfern featuring drag shows. [3] The Sydney Symphony is internationally renowned and regularly performs in the Concert Hall (2,600 seats) of the Sydney Opera House under Chief Conductor Vladimir Ashkenazy (until 2013) and, as of 2014, David Robertson. Here you are certainly safe from judgement, swaddled by super-sloshed hens parties and able to indulge in a spot of the nutbush, or exercise your interpretive moves to the chorus of Madonnas Like a Prayer. This was around 1960. The Sound Machine in Elizabeth St was very close to TCs which became Uncles with the telephones on each table. She was tried for murder andacquitted. Perched just off Oxford Street on Flinders Street, this two-level club is a Darlinghurst landmark. While Melbourne live music experienced this spatially tempered expansion in the 1990s, Sydney was entering a well-documented decennium horribilis. What about Queens Hotel , National Hotel, Brothers ,George Hotel etc etc. VJ the DJ spun some bodacious tunes while we sat in old airplane seats. Was around til the end of 94. It was November 1970, almost eight months, since I first set foot in Vietnam. Such an iconic Brisbane venue it was sad to see Uploaded by - 2 Roslyn St Kings Cross. Our newsletter hand-delivers the best bits to your inbox. I remember going into the building with dad on a Sat or Sun afternoon, it was pretty cool for a 13/ 14 year old as I was then. And unlike in Melbourne, the list of 2006 top-listing venues is completely different to 1994. Great list. Tammys disco was run by the Ashgrove west Methodist church in its hall on waterworks road. You had to walk down a set of stairs to get to it. Lesbian bar and dance venue on Crown Street in the 1970s and 80s. plus the clubs were better more underground and no drunk asshats. Part of the Daily Mail, The Mail on Sunday & Metro Media Group. Can anyone remember the bar that used to be at Pier Nine, where the Georges of Paragon restaurant is now? Sydney Australia was my choice. What they do point towards is spatially tempered expansion. There was a Stomp Pit in the corner of the floor and a bar where you could gt rum and coke which was just a sort of rum essence. Waiter at Chequers nightclub who lived in Kellett Street, Kings Cross in the 1950s. The building is now used as a bar and function rooms. Again, the data presented in the maps above is not inconsistent with existing accounts, but adds nuance. Dancer at Chequers nightclub in the 1950s and a witness in the trial of Shirley Beiger for the murder of Arthur Griffith. Tunnel night club had, like so many places back then, a heavily policed female majority policy. Where to daggy dance under a disco ball like no one is watching. Just behind the delightfully daggy glamour of Darling Harbour is the neon-tinged, two-floor dance arena of the Retro. By Daniel Piotrowski for Daily Mail Australia, Published: 02:57 BST, 28 April 2016 | Updated: 18:30 BST, 28 April 2016. We spoke to Stephen Allkins in 2018 to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras as it coincided with his 40th anniversary of DJing. Big changes are afoot for the historical district. It looks like you're using an ad blocker. Opened in 1892, the Strand Arcade was one of five built in the city centre during the late nineteenth century. It was thesecond venue opened by entrepreneur, Ivy Richter. Notes. Average distance between gigs: 308m Hi Grant, PARIS THEATRE Liverpool St Opposite Hyde Park. Two clubs I used to go to in the late 1980s that arent on this list are: The Stardust Club which was located in the old Atcherley Hotel, Petrie Bight and The Speakeasy which was located in Albert Street somewhere between Mary and Alice Streets. Nightclub owner and property developer reputed to be a major figure in Australia's organized crime in the latter half of the twentieth century. Other great bands of the time were the Flamingoes,The Echos,The Blue Jays,Beachies,Planets,etc. Knew a few ppl. IS. Who were there that night. Where were they? This month, the curtain fell on the Sydney Entertainment Centre, which is scheduled for demolition early in 2016.